Spam or Not?

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Spam or Not?

Postby Ken Stowell » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:31 pm

Got something in my Yahoo mail today from Marie Yandell (paulyandell@msn.com) My anti-virus warned of malware after it was scanned. Anyone else had this happen? Got me worried, thought I should put out the heads up.
Ken Stowell

Re: Spam or Not?

Postby RonBloor » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:38 am

Interesting... someone tried to "login" to the forum too many times with my "username"... I think it was Tuesday... It wasn't me or anyone with access to my computer, so there might be hackers trying to break into the forum. FYI
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby jay » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:32 am

Ken,

It depends on the content of the email. Was the subject line blank, odd, not related? Did the content of the email seem unrelated to the subject lines with odd links? Hopefully it didnt contain an attachment.

Honestly, if there is malware in Pauls email, then it is probably Paul that is infected. My brother recently had that problem. He was apologizing to everyone in his address book. He used several products, but to no avail. His MSN account continued to send out spam etc to his contacts. I told him to change his MSN login password and that fixed it. His account had been compromised and a 3rd party (bot, most likely) was accessing it for their spam.

So, if that is the problem, the infected party needs to clean their machine really good, then reset their email hosts password and that should take care of the problem.
Or it could have been an errant read by your virus checker. If you or Paul are infected, others should get spam/malware type emails from the infected host/acct. Good luck...
jay kantor
jay

Postby Roger Pratt » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:54 pm

I got the very same email from Marie Yandell and when I clicked on it my virus checker flagged it as a trojan and deleted it automatically. Very curious indeed!
Roger Pratt

Postby thenorm » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:04 pm

I sent a note to Paul with a link to this thread and he says they checked their machines and they came up clean.
Also, when I got my reply my antivirus did not throw up alarms

"...Hi Norm we scaned both ofour cmputers and changed our password there were no issues, paul..."
thenorm

Postby thenorm » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:10 pm

This Just In...

Marie sent a note:

Norm,

We haven't used that email address in several years now.

Marie

________

It could be that someone's e.mail account got infected and sent off a bunch of malware. If their address book had contained Paul's old address it could have been picked up and used by the malware
thenorm

Postby Richard Hudson » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:06 pm

I knew that was not the address I have for Paul.
Richard Hudson

Postby thenorm » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:31 pm

Yeah, something strange is going on but it's not at the Yandell's.

I think somone had Paul's old address in their address book and a virus hacked it. They then try to inisnuate themselves into every address in the captured address book
thenorm

Postby keener » Tue May 03, 2011 8:44 pm

RonBloor wrote:Interesting... someone tried to "login" to the forum too many times with my "username"... I think it was Tuesday... It wasn't me or anyone with access to my computer, so there might be hackers trying to break into the forum. FYI

This happened to me several times. Haven't noticed it happening in the past month or so, so hopefully the possible has found other pursuits. As far as I know, I am the only one who has posted under my username, but it is scary to think that a hacker could use your account to say anything. Hopefully the board's security software will prevent this.
keener

Postby Ken Stowell » Wed May 04, 2011 6:18 pm

My anti-virus tells me I'm clean so I don't think I'm infected, hope not. There is something on the board I'm curious about; at the bottom of the Board Index page, it reads, Registered Users: Google [Bot], Ken Stowell,etc...What the heck is that? Maybe I'm just getting paranoid. Sure don't know what Bot stands for.
Ken Stowell

Next

Return to Announcement and News