Del Vecchio For Sale

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Del Vecchio For Sale

Postby Randy810 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:44 pm

Hi,

I'm "thinning the herd" a little bit. I am selling my Del Vecchio resonator guitar. It's in excellent condition. Years back I had a pro make a compensated saddle (original in the case). I also had 1/4" brass rollers and bushings made to fit the tuners (original rollers in the case). It plays and sounds great... no issues. Please know these pics were made before the new saddle and roller replacement. I can send new photo upon request.

I'm asking $1600 plus actual shipping and insurance.
Randy810

Re: Del Vecchio For Sale

Postby albertgen » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:49 pm

Nice guitar Randy, I have been looking for one like that for a long time, I have one and its great but the wood is a wine colored rosewood. Mine is a shortscale and in great condition, what would it be worth do you think? Thanks Al
albertgen

Postby craigdobbins » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:56 pm

Good looking DV. Looks like the ones Chuck Tucker was importing in the 1980's. I had one of these, short scale, with the deep colored Brazilian rosewood.

Craig
craigdobbins

Postby smokymtguitar09 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:15 pm

Craig and/or Randy,

Is the fingerboard ebony or ebonized? Is the fingerboard flat or radiused? What string combo(silk & steel, nylon) is used on this short scale version?

Thanks,
Ronnie Evans
Ronnie Evans
smokymtguitar09

Postby craigdobbins » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:45 pm

Ronnie-

Most folks use silk and steel. My guitar had an ebony fretboard, but most I've seen are rosewood. The boards are usually flat, like a classical.

Craig
craigdobbins

Postby albertgen » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:59 am

Mine has an ebony flat board and a built in trussrod, Al
albertgen

Postby Randy810 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:36 am

Hi Guys,

Wow... what a great site! I bought this guitar from George Gruhn sometime in the early 90's I think. It is a short scale model: 22 3/4". The fingerboard is ebony, flat, and 1 15/16" at the nut. This guitar also has a truss rod. The build quality is pretty decent except the nut was fit sloppy (file marks at the ends). Also, intonation was terrible. I could tune for high register or low and play... but not both. My other issue was tuning. The large classical style rollers made tuning silk and steel way too sensitive. I never did anything about the issues because I had never found a repairman I trusted.

I live in Wisconsin. Tommy Emmanuel tours through Milwaukee just about every year now. At first (~8 years ago???) he played a very small venue (Shank Hall). He would come out after the concert and chat. He's the only guy I ever got a chance to talk with regarding the DV. He said he borrowed one of Chet's DVs for the recordings and told me all about the set-up.

With that info, I got the courage to find a great repairman. He made a new compensated saddle for silk and steel. I also had a machine shop make 1/4" diameter brass rollers to fit the original machine heads. They turned nylon bushings which pressed into the headstock. The original rollers and saddle are in the case and could always be put back.

It's a wonderful guitar now!... I just don't play it enough. I'm selling other nice guitars as well. With your emails, I'll send as many pics as you'd like.

Regards,
Randy
Randy810

Postby Randy810 » Thu May 05, 2011 6:12 pm

This is a beautiful Del Vecchio. Offers??? If not it's going on Ebay.

Regards,
Randy
Randy810

Postby Tom Keller » Sun May 08, 2011 12:27 am

Hi, Would you be interested in any trades plus cash?

thanks
Tom Keller

Del Vecchio For Sale - Lower Price

Postby Randy810 » Mon May 23, 2011 10:27 pm

I've received a lot of messages from you regarding Del Vecchios. From what I gather, a Del Vecchio can be a crap shoot. I have never seen or played another so I don't have anything to compare to.... but I must have gotten very lucky from the start: this guitar has no issues. It plays well, stays in tune, sounds great, and looks beautiful.

New price: $1400 plus shipping and insurance. I confident enough that I'm willing to allow a few days to inspect and play. If it isn't as I describe, send it back and I'll refund your money less shipping.
Randy810

Next

Return to Guitars and Equipment