Glen playing with a Prismatone & more

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Glen playing with a Prismatone & more

Postby jay » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:08 pm

Not sure if it has been posted here, but here is Glen playing a 1624 outfitted with a Prismatone. The clip claims this was a 77 concert. Ovation had the 1st Gen FET's available in at least 71 on the 1624 CA...Says something that Glen, who was an Ovation pioneer and poster child, kept his prismatone nylon over the OEM models.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqGkq2DrKtQ

Got to checking around...this guy scored a GC CA, It is not the same one in the 77 video. Looks a lot fancier and the volume knob would indicate it is a 1st Gen CA. CK probably took very good care of Glen.

http://www.ovationfanclub.com/cgi-bin/u ... 2;t=023582

And this auction snuck by...not sure if that is one of Sams pickups or an original, I imagine someone on the board can tell. It's evident that the seller had no idea what it was. Nice example of an early 1624. I had heard that CK only used Prismatones on pre-production models.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8017wt_905
jay kantor
jay

Re: Glen playing with a Prismatone & more

Postby RonBloor » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:41 am

I find it interesting that quite a few guitars were fitted with Prisimatone PUs.. Well, perhaps not all that many, but it just keeps showing up on different instruments. Sam's reincarnation of the Prisimatone has been discussed at length here before and I think the conclusion was... that it's the PU not the guitar that makes that great sound. I would be interested in how many different instruments were manufactured with the Prisimatone and whether there is a guitar made today that would be a good one on which to install Sam's PU??? I know about the Baldwin retrofits..
As to the Ovation guitars. I think they were/are a good guitar, but that shape just isn't for me. If you don't wear a strap (I don't) then the guitar is always sliding off your lap!! Perhaps my lap is just getting smaller :)
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby Vidar Lund » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:00 pm

Ron, I played an Ovation once. It was hard to control and wanted to run away from me all the time. And the sound was projected away from me too, so I didn´t hear much of what I was doing - which was just as well I guess!
Vidar Lund

Postby Richard Hudson » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:23 pm

I know the Prismatone is a great system, but the Ovation still sounds like an Ovation to me, even with the Prismatone.
Richard Hudson

Postby Bluebird_12 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:13 pm

Richard;

Have you ever had a chance to play a Prismatone equipped Ovation? Mine sounds great.

Wayne
Bluebird_12

Return to Guitars and Equipment