Vintage Sound Princeton Amp

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Vintage Sound Princeton Amp

Postby srgntschultz » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:18 pm

I recently ordered a Fender Princeton amp from Rick at vintage sound. its built to exact specs of the old fender blackface amps and point to point wired. Its a total tone monster! it has a 12in speaker instead of the 10in and no tone sucking tremelo/vibrato on it either. it has a midrange,presence and a dwell control on the reverb,which is the best sounding reverb i have ever heard. I am trying to get the tone steve wariner gets on his chet tribute cd,and its in there. I play a gretsch cgp through it with an old tape echo roland 301 and its the first amp thats actually much much warmer than my musicman rd 50. And it was my favorite amp. He has a website whereyou can see his work ,its vintagesound.com Check out ricks amps,they are a true work of art. Email me if you would like any pictures of it,mine is not exactly the look of the old fender,you can get one if you like but i think you would like the newer look better. If someone wants to put them on the board for me i will email them to you,since i dont really know how. He is going to make me a 15 in version with a jbl d-130 in it! Finally found my amp.Thanks.
srgntschultz

Re: Vintage Sound Princeton Amp

Postby srgntschultz » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:22 pm

Its vintagesoundamps.com sorry i screwed that one up!
srgntschultz

Postby rgervais » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:42 pm

What speaker do you have in your amp? I have an Allen Sweet Spot, also based on a Princeton. It sounds great, but I am looking to swap out the speaker for something a bit brighter. In terms of that Steve Wariner tone, my little Fender Champion 600 with the NC is about as close as I have heard.
Best wishes,

Roger
rgervais

Postby srgntschultz » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:18 pm

Roger, My amp has a weber speaker and this amp is the first amp that i can actually turn the highs up from zero,which i have to do with all of the modern fender amps. Go to weberspeakers.com and they have all of their models on their site. I know that if you want to tame the highs on your amp that their hemp cone does a great job at that,but the weber speakers do sound very good,they also make an excat copy of the old jbl d-120,which is also a great speaker.
srgntschultz

Postby rgervais » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:32 am

Thanks for the info. I will check out the Weber website.

Roger
rgervais

Return to Guitars and Equipment