Happy Birthday Roy Clark

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Happy Birthday Roy Clark

Postby George Beasley » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:29 pm

Roy turns 78 today. When I started playing guitar as a teenager, worked out of a Mel Bay book, and The Roy Clark Big Note Guitar Songbook. Bet there are quite a few others with a similar story.
Thanks,
George
George Beasley

Re: Happy Birthday Roy Clark

Postby Roger Chevrier » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:59 pm

The first concert I ever attended was the early seventies in Toronto Canada at the CNE grounds. I drove down from Sudbury (about 6 hours) and brought my binoculars cause I was in the nosebleed section. The show featured Chet Atkins, Boots Randolph and Floyd Cramer. I did not know that their opening act was none other than Roy Clark. Talk about icing on the cake. I spent countless hours with my little cassette recorder trying to learn some of Roy's tunes.
Happy Birthday Roy, and many more. Roger
Roger Chevrier

Postby Paul Rauch » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:02 am

I saw Roy in the 1960's at Old McDonalds Farm somewhere around Columbus, Ohio. He was an hour or so late and flying in with his own plane. Nobody left. It was a great show, of course.
I wonder if he has several Byrdland guitars. I've seen him play a Country Club a time or two.
There was a non standard neck pickup on one of his Byrdlands in a video. I've never seen any of the amps he uses.
He was on Country's Family Reunion this winter. He still has his humor and entertainment abilities.
Happy birthday Roy.
Paul Rauch

Postby jimboy » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:18 am

My father took me to see Roy Clark at an outdoor show in the early 60s near York, Pennsylvania. Shortly before Roy took the stage heavy rain stoms hit the area. Most of the audiance left because of the weather. Rather than cancel the show Roy invited us up on the covered stage while he put on his show. He was playing a Fender Jaguar at the time. We bought an album from him after the show which he signed for us. What a thrill Roy gave us that day. A true Guitar Hero and nice guy. Happy Birthday
jimboy

Postby rhirvine » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:47 pm

When I was stationed at Elmendorf AFB near Anchorage, AK, Roy Clark came up there on tour probably in 1969 or 1970. I was a fan and was listening to his instrumental album when I looked out my window and saw him walking up to the building. You see the armed forces radio network had a studio in the basement and he was there to do an interview and play some music with his small band. I couldn't believe it! I ran down the two flights of stairs to greet him and he was very nice and shook my hand. He then invited me to come down to the studio to watch his interview and listen to him and his band play some songs. It was a dream come true!

RIch Irvine
rhirvine

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins