NAMES OF Solid Body custom guitar builders ?

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

NAMES OF Solid Body custom guitar builders ?

Postby Larry Lenhart » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:38 am

Does anyone have experience with a custom guitar builder ? I have the name of one, but want to do some comparison shopping...I am not looking at an archtop guitar, but rather a solid body guitar, which I wouldnt think would require as much labor and the bottom line, money. Thanks in advance. You can send me a personal message or email to keep the names off of the chet board, if you would prefer.
Larry Lenhart

Re: NAMES OF Solid Body custom guitar builders ?

Postby Randy Finney » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:34 am

I have "built" three guitars using this companies products. It doesn't require much skill - ability to use a screw driver, really.

http://www.warmoth.com/

Maybe something to consider as it is substantially less money than getting a one-off solidbody built, and the quality is outstanding.

Randy
Randy Finney

Postby BillB » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:01 am

I'm with Randy. One of my favorite guitars is a Warmoth Strat copy that I built over 20 years ago. Of course, I was teaching woodshop at the time. Mine was ordered with a little extra angle in the neck pocket so that I could use a Les Paul style bridge and tailpiece, and I put EMG pickups in it since they were the hot item back then. I had to measure, drill, and mount the bridge and tailpiece when I built, but I'm pretty sure that Warmoth does that with the standard setup. It looks a bit beat up now (you pay for that look on some new guitars), but it still places great. In fact, I've been going back and forth between playing that guitar and my Gretsch 6122-NC recently. The other cool thing about Warmoth is that they currently make a neck that is 1.75" at the nut for Strat and Tele type guitars. I've thought about swapping out the neck on mine or maybe even building another one in the future.

Also, I know that Mel McCullough builds a nice solid body guitar, but that may be who you already know about.

Bill B.
BillB

Postby michael coppola » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:45 pm

this guy (dgn guitars) is amazing...making me a 9 string as we speak
http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/fb ... 6369241605
michael coppola

Return to Guitars and Equipment