Mose Rager Day

Need help? Don't know how to embed youtube videos? Can't listen to mp3's on the forum? Problems browsing the Chetboard? Find the solution here!

Mose Rager Day

Postby bill_h » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:14 am

If I'm not mistaken tommorow is Mose Rager Day. Does anyone know if there will be a jamboree tonight at the Firehouse or does it all take place tommorow? ( They say don't count your chickens before they hatch but it looks like I'm actually gonna get to go and I can't wait! )
bill_h

Re: Mose Rager Day

Postby Scott Taylor » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:49 am

It is my understanding that it will start on saturday at 10:00 with jamming and then a dinner and more scheduled picking in the evening. Some may come in on Friday night and jam at the hotels. Here's a link to a notice with links to hotels and map info.

http://www.thumbpickers.org/News.htm

See you there,
Scott
Scott Taylor

Postby bill_h » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:08 pm

Thanks Scott. Hope I get to hear you play tommorow.
bill_h

Postby Scott Taylor » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:46 pm

Good to meet you Bill. There sure was some fine picking going on at the Drakesboro Community Center. I enjoyed your music. I'd like to get a chance next time to hear you with less accompaniment or pick a little one on one. I appreciate your info on the diminished sequence and locating it off the 7th.
Did you hear Paul Moseley on the tele with Chip Young? Very nice. (so was that peanutbutter pie!) It was a fun weekend. Hope to see you back down that way again. Maybe Odell Martin Day June 18th?
Scott Taylor

Postby bill_h » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:15 am

It was great meeting you Scott.

Thanks for the kind words about my playing but Paul Mosely, Freddy Russell, Gerald Johnson, J.T. Ogelsby, and Chick Chandler could make anyone sound good!

There was one fellow in the circle that I'd never seen before and never did catch his name. Was that Chip Young?

I wanted to do a small set on my own but it didn't work out that way. The boys got back onstage after you played and didn't quit until closing time. They sounded too good and the crowd was enjoying them too much for me to even think about lobbying for a spot of my own. I just joined back in with them and kept up the best I could.

I'd love to sit down with you sometime and play a tune or two, swap licks, ideas, or whatever. I'm not sure about Odell Martin Day at this point. In June I'll have to chose between it or the jamboree in Muhlenberg. I won't be able to do both unfortunately. ( Maybe you could get me started on "To B Or Not To B." )

Those diminished 7th chords, I've found, can save lots of time when it comes to navigating the fretboard if you know how to use them. Same with the augmented triad. Raise any note of the augmented triad 1/2 step and it becomes the root of a minor triad. Lower any note of an augmented triad 1/2 step and it becomes the "5th" of a major triad. Using the diminished 7th chords and augmented triads in that manner is Pat Martino's discovery. He claims they're to the stringed instruments what the black and white keys are to the keyboard instruments. It works well for me!

Enjoyed your playing as always Scott! I'm sure we'll run into each other again before too long.

The peanut butter pie is one of my favorites too but I forfeited this time because I had too much fried chicken and mashed potatoes. I had a great time Saturday. Good music, good food, good people! It just don't get any better!
bill_h

Return to Support