A Story and Amazing Grace

A place to share your music! Post and view audio links.

A Story and Amazing Grace

Postby Richard Hudson » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:18 am

There is an old saying amongst blues players that a guitar can't play the blues unless it has been in a pawn shop. I guess every old guitar has a story, and here is a short story about one of mine. I'll try to keep it short.

Several years ago, I was down on my luck. My business was failing and I was about to lose everything. As if things couldn't get any worse, our car was stolen right out of our driveway. And to make it even worse, my only guitar, a Gibson ES340 was in the trunk of the car. It was on a Sunday night and I had left my guitar in the trunk after we got home from church. Something I had never done before. The county sheriff called the next day and told us he had found our car. However there was a minor problem. The car was burned to a crisp. When we went to the junkyard to survey the damage, there sat our car. Everything that could possibly burn was totally consumed. The only thing left was steel. I slowly lifted the trunk lid and there was an ash outline of what was once my only guitar. The humbuckers and the trapeze tailpiece were laying there right in place. Our kids were tween and teen. It was all I could do to hold my composure in front of my wife and kids.

I'm trying to get to the punch line quickly. The next Sunday a little old widow woman named Lottie Thomas stepped up in front of the congregation and said, "This boy needs a guitar. And I am going to give the first $100 to buy one for him." With that she laid a $100 bill on the altar and walked back to her seat. I pleaded with her not to do it, because of my pride, but her mind was set. No one else came forward. Well, the next day an old friend called and said "Hey. I heard you lost your guitar." Then he told me that he had been out raiding pawn shops and he had found this old Epiphone SG for $85 and he bought it. He said I could have it for what he paid. I asked him if he had change for a hundred.

That old SG got me by until things got better for me. Storms never last. You know that. I kept the guitar and now money could not buy it. Over the weekend it caught my eye, and all of those old memories flashed by, so I got it out, dusted it off and put new strings on it. Tonight I recorded this song in memory of an old friend.

Now, a little warning. If you are offended by distortion, then please don't click the link to listen. But, it just seemed to me like that was what was needed because my life was pretty distorted and out of shape back then.

God bless Sister Lottie. I'll never forget her.

http://www.box.net/shared/7edumogkht

Thank you for listening and reading my story.

Richard
Richard Hudson

Re: A Story and Amazing Grace

Postby RandeDager » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:50 am

Richard, being a very sensitive musician, I can be moved to tears more easily then most. However, that doesn't generally happen on this board but I'll have to admit that you managed to succeed! Thanks for a wonderful story!
Rande
RandeDager

Postby RonBloor » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:50 am

There are many things that happen to us as we journey through this life. We are defined in part by each and every one of them. As I read your story Richard, I couldn't help but wonder just how many people were defined in part by what Lottie did that day and probably every day of her life. That was a beautiful tribute to her. Thanks for sharing.
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby Richard Hudson » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:08 pm

Rande, I'm a pretty emotional guy myself at times. Thank you for your kindness. Ron, I am realizing more and more that although the start of the race is important, the most important part is how you finish.

Thank you both for taking the time to listen and commenting.

Richard
Richard Hudson

Postby Roger Pratt » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:08 pm

Richard.......What a great story! Like Rande I was really moved by your story. Seems like the older I get the more emotional I become but this really touched me. What a wonderful tribute to Miss Lottie and a true testament to your character my friend.
Roger Pratt

Postby Richard Hudson » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:52 pm

Thanks Roger. I appreciate hearing from you and your nice comments helped make my day brighter.

Best regards,
Richard
Richard Hudson

Postby BillB » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:33 pm

Richard,
I like the story and the song both. I'd never heard you tell that. By the way, I really like the tone from that guitar.

Bill B.
BillB

Postby Carl Martin » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:11 pm

Hi Richard,
Another great arrangement and an even better story.
Thanks for posting.
Carl....
Carl Martin

Postby Richard Hudson » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:38 am

It's good to hear from you, Carl. Hope you're doing well. Thanks for the nice comment.

Richard
Richard Hudson

Postby Ray Bohlken » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:22 am

Richard, that was a very moving post. I'm glad that Sister Lottie was there for you. What a great way to help. I'll bet she wouldn't take any payback, either. Your playing reflected your feelings about that time and that rendition of Amazing Grace was wonderful.
I attended the 2000 C.A.A.S. and I think we both played the open mike on one of those days. I have a photo which I think is you and you are playing a double cut away guitar on stage which may be your Es-340. I can email that to you if you would like. I am not the greatest photographer, but I am pretty sure it is you. As I recall, we both spoke about liking Windy and Warm and we both played a version of it when our turns came.
Thanks again for sharing that memory with us.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Next

Return to Audio files