Standel Studio XX

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Standel Studio XX

Postby George Beasley » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:31 pm

Does anybody have any experience with the Standel Studio XX? I came across one recently, and don't know anything about them. I know that some of the solid state amps sound good, like the Custom XII that Wes used, but I've also heard that some of the later ss amps had a lot of problems.
Thanks,
George
George Beasley

Re: Standel Studio XX

Postby Paul Rauch » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:04 pm

I bought a Studio 24 at a yard sale in the 1960's. It's still my favorite amplifier for Chet sound.
Paul Rauch

Postby Paul Storm » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:59 am

George, my hobby is to rebuild/repair old Standel solid state amps. The amp you inquired about is a fine example of the solid state Standel amps. I will be posting on ebay shortly two Standel Custom 15 amps with JBL D130 speakers. I hope your tube Standel is still working up to expectations.

Paul Storm
Paul Storm

Postby Paul Rauch » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:36 pm

I had a capacitor put in my Studio 24 a few years ago by a local repairman. I'm getting what sounds like fret noise on the top and bottom strings once in a while.It comes and goes.The intensity varies. I suppose a tube is going bad.
I also have an Artist XII which I don't use much.
Paul Rauch

Postby George Beasley » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:07 pm

Paul,

The 25L15 I got from you is holding up well, and sounds great.

I'll go back and play through the Studio xx and let you know if I pick it up.
Thanks,
George
George Beasley

Postby pattie surman » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:43 am

I bought a Stanel Studio xx fifteen years ago at a guitar show for $250.00. I think It,s a great amp and has a good Chet sound.What I love about this amp is the fact that It only has volume,treble,bass,reverb, and tremolo.No ch. select,no master volume,no drive, no mid control, no pre gain, no post gain, no gain at all. What is all that stuff for anyway? For a tube sound I use a Gretsch Executive made by Victoria Co.Stan.
pattie surman

Postby Paul Storm » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:40 pm

Stan, right now I have both a Standel Custom 15 (with a JBL D130) and Standel Studio (with a JBL D130). When I played my Country Gent thru the Studio I got the closest to Chet's sound. For some reason the lower power supply voltage (a difference of about 5 volts) makes a big difference in the sound of the Studio. When I found the D130's to replace the original "Standel" speakers, I noticed a tremendous improvement in the sound of the guitar and the amp. For a short period of time, I owned a tube Standel and really liked the sound--but hated to transport it around due to its weight. Stan, have you ever tried an AER amp, either the Compact 60 or the Amp One? I had a Compact 60 and liked it. I now have the Amp One that I use for both bass and guitar. I like the sound, and I like the size and weight. As I get older, I find I am more willing to use the amp direct out to connect to the church sound system.
Paul Storm

Return to Guitars and Equipment