Gettin' On Down The Road

A place to share your music! Post and view audio links.

Re: Gettin' On Down The Road

Postby Richard Hudson » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:03 am

Thank you. Chet and others lit a fire that still burns. To play like Chet is impossible. Like Steve Wariner said, "You can't outChet Chet." Even though I will never be able to play like Chet, there is no doubt that he is my greatest inspiration. I wish I could have told him that in person, but so do many others.
Richard Hudson

Postby RandeDager » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:36 am

Richard, I DID tell him that when I first met him backstage in Atlanta in 1969 while I was in the army. He always acted appreciative but seemed like he felt "undeserving". He was very humble.
Rande
RandeDager

Postby keener » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:28 am

Richard, I know I'm a little late to the party on this, but I wanted to weigh in on what a great job you did. I loved the tune, and your playing was Superb!

Bruce
keener

Postby RandeDager » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:39 pm

Sorry Richard, I failed to mention the good job you did on the song. The tone was nice and your timing was right-on with your back up band (or track).
Rande
RandeDager

Postby Richard Hudson » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:20 pm

Thanks a lot Bruce and Rande. I appreciate you taking the time to listen.

Rande I also meant to say that I is the back up band with the exception of my son, Sean, on drums and Dennis Evers on the rag time piano. Fewer personnel problems that way.
Richard Hudson

Postby RandeDager » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:48 pm

That's interesting, Richard. I was expecting that it was a program like "Band in a Box". They are getting better
because they have gone beyond MIDI and are using samples of actual recorded instruments that can be
programmed just like the MIDI sounds can. The program "Real Band" is an example of this. You have a
nice "tight" backup group.
Rande
RandeDager

Postby Richard Hudson » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:35 pm

It was done the old fashioned way. All of it is real.
Richard Hudson

Postby Richard Hudson » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:48 am

Thank you for listening and commenting, Jack. I couldn't agree more on your comment about Chet. He has always been the ultimate role model and inspiration and will continue to be always.
Richard Hudson

Postby alfonso3 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:01 am

I'm interested in how you recorded this piece.
I''m interested in efx you may have used,(EQ, compression, delay). Also, at 2:00, the
volume seems to drop off for a bit--was this intentional?
Your notes have great presence, and your playing is clean as a whistle.
alfonso3

Postby Richard Hudson » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:20 am

Thank you for listening so closely to my recording effort, Alfonso. I appreciate your comments. The guitar was the Gretsch G6122-1959 Nashville Classic played through a Fender Twin Custom 15 with a Shure SM58 mic. I used reverb, delay and compression sparingly. Just enough to accentuate the notes but not enough to overtake the music. The segment you referred to at about the 2:00 mark, I am assuming is right after the keyboard part and the beginning of the single string guitar ad lib part? The keyboard part, which incidentally was so very well played by my good friend, Dennis Evers, was panned hard right and the guitar part right after that was panned hard left. My memory is a little cloudy there, but I think the guitar on that particular part was my '79 Les Paul Custom. Anyway, the drop in volume could be because of the hard pan to the left? Quite honestly, I didn't notice the drop in volume, but I may be listening to the wrong part. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks again for listening. The tune is a tribute to my Dad, using one of his favorite little sayings for the title.

Best Regards,
Richard
Richard Hudson

PreviousNext

Return to Audio files