'Thumbs' Carllile L.H. techniques

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

'Thumbs' Carllile L.H. techniques

Postby Garry Rosen » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:05 pm

Hi all,

It's been a couple mos. since I'd posted ....some changes with address, etc., have consumed me!!

In searching for instructive materials on 'Thumbs' Carllile ( also - Jeff Healey ) I've reached an impasse
on locating any info on method books which teach their unique L.H. fingerings for chords/single note solos.

Anyone know about any available ( or older out-of-print ) publications - -books --DVDs. et al. as pertaining
to the LH styles of these late, great guitarists? Many thanks and good to be on the CB again!

K.O.P.,

Garry :D
Garry Rosen

Re: 'Thumbs' Carllile L.H. techniques

Postby thenorm » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:17 pm

I don't think you'll find any books on that kind of playing, There are a few excellent YouTubes of Thumbs playing that give you a good shot of his hands but no clue as to what tuning he used or if he even varied his tunings at all.

When looking for clips try different spellings of his name. Some say "Carlisle", some say "Carlile'. Actual spelling is Carlisle but some folks prefer the other way. Makes for a lot of confusion over time.

Good luck. It's one thing to learn it that way from the beginning like Thumbs and Jeff Healy did but quite another to learn that way after you've been exposed to regular playing for any length of time.

The story on Thumbs is that his sister was taking hawaiian guitar lessons but hid the steel so he couldn't fool with it so he allegedly learned by using his fingers. Knowing how high a hawaiian guitar action is the story sounds a bit of a stretch but it's his story not mine.

Jeff Healy, being blind, probably just felt more comfortable playing that way...

Both men are scary to watch. YouTube "springfield guitar social" to hear Thumbs tear it up!
thenorm

Re: 'Thumbs' Carllile L.H. techniques

Postby kentwkistler » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:43 pm

And I would suggest, also, Rory Hoffman, blind since birth, who just tears the guitar. He has several things on YouTube. K E N T
kentwkistler

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins