"Flying South" Me&Chet

Watch and share videos from youtube

"Flying South" Me&Chet

Postby PhilHunt » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:01 pm

I cancelled out Jerry's parts and decided after years of just playing Chet's part this time I would take a stab at Jerry's lead parts. It may not be 100% dead on, but it sure is fun to play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwNYPfV-5SA
PhilHunt

Re: "Flying South" Me&Chet

Postby RandeDager » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:05 pm

Phil, even though I posted a comment on YouTube, I wanted to say something here about your video. I was talking to a friend of mine this morning from California about Jerry's music and techniques and we both thought of you, not knowing that the each other already knew about you. In my case, I know you personally and he was impressed which is why he said what he did. Many of us specialize. My specialty is arranging songs and utilizing a lot of harmony and rich chords. I consider you to be the premier expert on Jerry's style when it comes to having figured it all out and actually playing it. I don't think there's much that he played that you haven't. What I noticed is the looseness and flexibility of your right hand. I'll never have that degree of what I referred to as "having rubber fingers". I also notice that you don't anchor the "pinky" of your right hand. That probably contributes to your "looseness". You also maintain that curvature of your right hand so that your picking fingers are curved inward ready for the next stroke. Because of this, you make it look much easier than it is when the average person tries it. I study everything I can for efficiency. Over the years I spent studying Tommy Jones, I've learned to minimize my movements so that there isn't a lot of "overshooting" in my strokes and having to come so far back for the next stroke but I have a lot to learn from you and it may just be impossible because we all have our physical limitations. Just like Tommy Jones and Buster B., you have a natural physical gift. I really appreciate your willingness to share with us so we can all "see how it's done". Thanks!
Rande
RandeDager

Postby Roger Pratt » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:13 pm

Some really NICE work Phil.
Roger Pratt

Postby PhilHunt » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:15 pm

Randy, I've learned some new neat little tricks I can hear Jerry playing when I slow the tunes down. Jerry's lead licks like on "Limehouse Blues", "Liebestraum",and "Flying South" utilize a funky hammer/pull off type of manuever that Jerry used quite often. It works around chord shapes whatever key Jerry is in at that point in the song. The only way it can really be achieved and sound right is #1 a very low action and #2 using just the thumb pick and the index finger back and forth. Hopefully I can demonstrate this technique and slow it down to show what I mean very soon.
PhilHunt

Postby PhilHunt » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:25 pm

Randy, One thing I think is problem with some people playing Chet/Jerry tunes is that their picking is too "robotic". I know some on the chetboard don't like to hear the words "boom chic boom chic".....but that's how it sounds when some people "try too hard" to play fingerstyle. Like Paul said in his video, the thumb should have a nice flow.
I like to keep my fingers on my right hand very relaxed and limber. I work on rolls alot. Especially Reed rolls and it seems to help keep my fingers limber on my right hand. I love more than anything to work on a new Reed lick and play it about 100 times over and over again until I can play it the speed he does.........sometimes that can be a real challenge. Damn..That man was a genius!
PhilHunt

Postby RandeDager » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:43 pm

Phil, assuming you were addressing me (Rande instead of Randy), I can really relate to the repetition you're describing. It's a great feeling to know that you're doing it all correctly very slowly so that you know you'll be playing it correctly when it's up to speed. It's only a source of frustration to know that you simply don't have it at all even at a slow speed. Then it doesn't matter if you speed it up because it's just plain wrong! I love the feeling of knowing "I've got it" because that gives me hope that it will sound like I want it to when I pick up the speed and still maintain the accuracy. It's all both a science and an art!
Rande
RandeDager

Postby stambi » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:15 am

Phil, your video tutorials really helps me to understand jerry's technique. You make Jerry's music more popular all over the world. I tried to download your video don't let the good life pass you by, but it can't be done. Why? by the way, all other videos are available for download. Thank You.
Boris Stambuk
stambi

Postby PhilHunt » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:01 pm

Boris,
I had noticed that other websites like youtube were "stealing" my URL to my videos on youtube and embedding them. I want my videos to be exclusive to youtube and nowhere else. I am in the process of disabling embedding on all my videos.
PhilHunt

Postby stambi » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:19 pm

PhilHunt wrote:Boris,
I had noticed that other websites like youtube were "stealing" my URL to my videos on youtube and embedding them. I want my videos to be exclusive to youtube and nowhere else. I am in the process of disabling embedding on all my videos.

Ok. What will be the procedure then? (to download them from youtube). I am using vdownloader (freeeware) now.
Boris Stambuk
stambi

Postby PhilHunt » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:06 pm

Boris, as far as know...you won't be able to download them. I will have the embedding feature blocked. Sorry I had to do this...but you can thank the other "youtube wannabees" out there for this.
PhilHunt

Return to Video Files