Jerry Reed Lesson

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Jerry Reed Lesson

Postby bill park » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:47 pm

Want some of the best Jerry Reed style instruction on the planet? Check out this story from the upcoming May 2011 issue of Acoustic Guitar magazine:

http://www.acguitar.com/article/default.aspx?articleid=26841

AND a great article on Jerry's gear in the same issue:

http://www.acguitar.com/article/default.aspx?articleid=27350

Well done, Craig!
bill park

Re: Jerry Reed Lesson

Postby PhilHunt » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:43 am

Well it's about dang time Jerry's name made it to one of the newstand magazines!! I get so tired of picking up a Guitar Player magazine or Guitar World and just seeing these Marilyn Manson freaks with tattoo's and piercings looking like they just came from Barnum and Bailey Circus. I remember when Guitar Player magazine used to be about "real" guitar players.
What's really funny is that you look at someone like "Slash" from Gun's and Roses and think that he only plays heavy rock with distortion. I saw him on tv playing acoustic and the guy can really play some chops and scales.
PhilHunt

Postby RandeDager » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:57 am

Phil, thanks for sharing that about Slash. These guys get way too much attention and they might as well be able to do a few things to deserve it from people like us, even if it isn't what they are most known for.

Rande
Rande
RandeDager

Postby craigdobbins » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:29 am

Thanks, Bill. My friend (and CAAS regular) Jim Ohlschmidt did the intro/bio. It was a labor of love, as you can imagine.

Phil- Yes, there seems to be a renewed interest in Jerry's music- this article/lesson in AG, Hal Leonard's re-release of The Guitar Style of Jerry Reed, etc. Many visitors to my website are come because they're looking for Reed music. Also, many of Jerry's classic RCA albums (Explores Guitar Country, Georgia Sunshine, Lord Mr. Ford, etc.) are available as downloads on Amazon, and there are several reissue CDs available, too.

Acoustic Guitar did an extensive interview with Jerry in 1999 (again, written by Jim Ohlschmidt), and it was featured in my book The Jerry Reed Collection. As far as newstand magazines, that's the only major guitar-related feature I know of since that time.

Craig
craigdobbins

Postby guitarchuck » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:30 pm

Thanks for posting this Bill. My son is wanting to learn to play now and he's interested in Jerry Reed stuff. I don't know much myself. I have all the books, but maybe this will get us started
guitarchuck

Postby LeeRamirez » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:09 am

Oh yeah! The funky Jerry Reed sound. You did a great job Craig. IMHO, there will be more Jerry Reed articles apearing in the guitar trade magazines. And don't forget Steve Wariner. He's getting more attention nowadays. He also captures the Jerry Reed style in some of his recordings. Keep 'em coming Craig. God Bless. Lee Ramirez
LeeRamirez

Postby jimmy willis » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:52 pm

learn something new everyday! I've been a Jerry Reed fan all my life and thought he recorded East bound and Down on a Tele. Didn't know he played the solo on a Les Paul.
jimmy willis

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins