Paul Yandell Day

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Paul Yandell Day

Postby craigdobbins » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:47 pm

Yesterday (March 12, 2011) was a special Paul Yandell Day at the Thumbpickers Hall of Fame in KY. I wasn't able to be there, but I heard from Eddie Pennington that it was great day, with lots of pickers there to honor Paul.

Since I missed the festivities, I thought I would post my own tribute to Paul here on the Chetboard:

"It's not often that one of your heroes becomes one of your best friends. Lenny Breau once said "There's only one Chet." Well, there's only one Paul Yandell, too. God bless you, Paul, and all the best to you on your special day."

I hope you'll do the same.

Craig
craigdobbins

Re: Paul Yandell Day

Postby gmoseley » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:06 pm

Paul has been one of the dearest friends I've ever had. He's been like a brother to me for about 30 years now.
My hat's off to you Paul, my ole buddy. Thanks for many years of musical genius - YOU are one of a kind !
Hello to you on your special day!
All the best,
Gayle
gmoseley

Postby Roger Pratt » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:43 pm

Paul Yandell a great friend of mine and truly my guitar hero. I never got to meet Chet but I have known Paul for several years and he is a true gentleman in every way.
Roger Pratt

Postby thenorm » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:59 pm

I never met him but we have corresponded for years. Sometimes I feel like he's kin to me...
thenorm

Postby BillB » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:57 pm

I remember when I first came to the Chetboard (then Fretboard), and I noticed that Paul Yandell was posting. I knew then that this was not a typical fan website. I've learned so much from reading Paul's posts over the years, and I remember the first time that I met Paul in person at CAAS 2006. When I told him who I was, he recognized my name from the Chetboard and immediately gave me a warm welcome to CAAS. Since then, he has treated me the same way every time that I've seen him. I feel very fortunate to be able to call him my friend.

Happy Paul Yandell Day! It's very well deserved!

Bill Bailey
BillB

Postby Richard Hudson » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:38 pm

Paul Yandell is not the kind that goes around looking for accollades. It is almost like it is embarrassing for him, but that is the Gentleman in him. I think Paul would like for his life and his abilities to say everything for him, but his accomplishments have been so much and his abilities are so extraordinary that we all can't help but brag on him.

Paul is a very dear friend that I wouldn't take the world for. That's how much he means to me. If he called and said he needed me to be in Bangor, Maine as soon as I could get there, I would be on my way out the door. He wouldn't need to say why.

Paul, there is no way I could ever repay you for all of the time you have taken for me, all of the kind things you have said and shared with me, and all of the help and advice you have given. I sincerely wish you and Marie all of the very best, for today, tomorrow and for ever how long we are all here. You're a dandy, Paul, and I am most blessed to be able to call you my friend.
Richard Hudson

Postby keener » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:56 pm

Paul, when I was growing up, your name was mentioned in my household almost as much as Chet's was, which is saying something considering how much we all loved Chet. My main heroes, the ones who really sold me on fingerstyle picking, were You, my Dad, Chet, and Jerry. Of course, in time, I added other heroes. But you were one of the first, and have been a hero ever since (just like with Dad, Chet, and Jerry).

I don't know how to even begin to thank you for your inspiration.

All my best wishes to you and your family,
Bruce Keener
keener

Postby guitarchuck » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:52 pm

I remember when I first came to the Chetboard (then Fretboard), and I noticed that Paul Yandell was posting. I knew then that this was not a typical fan website. I've learned so much from reading Paul's posts over the years.

Same with me Bill. I haven't got to be around him very much, but he's a really great guy. He's always been kind to answer my questions. We've helped each other find guitar parts a few times. Other people that worked with big stars wouldn't give fans the time of day, but Paul has always been very nice to Chet and Jerry's fans. We are also big fans of Paul Yandell !!!!
guitarchuck

Postby Eddie Estes » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:53 pm

Paul,
I consider you one of my best friends. You and your family have treated Phil Hunt
and I like family.
I used to watch you with Chet on TV and I thought he has to be a great guitar player
to be with Chet. I thought right. You are a great player and a great friend.
Eddie
Eddie Estes

Postby Billy Anderson » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:12 am

Paul, I met you once backstage at Chet's concert with the Memphis Symphony back in the '80s. I did not know anything about you at the time but I knew that you must be one heck of a player to be able to work with Chet. I got your autograph which you were kind enough to give me, and I stored it away, along with Chet's autograph and thumbpick which I got him to swap for one of mine. I completely forgot about you until I ran across the CB and found what Chet had said about you, and how nice and patient you were with Chet fans. You have really given a lot of your time trying to help all of us and I would like to thank you for sharing your knowledge with us. I truly regret that I was not lucky enough to really know you personally and be around you as a friend. My loss entirely. May you continue to play for years to come. I wish you the very best! Billy
Billy Anderson

Next

Return to Announcement and News