Digital DAW's.. favorites?

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Digital DAW's.. favorites?

Postby thumbslinger » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:24 pm

I've been getting into the digital audio world a little more and wondered what some of you may use for recording.

I've used LogicXpress, Garageband and ProTools in the past but am really excited about both Reaper and Mixcraft 5 which are both extremely cheaper and capable considering their price tag (about $65 and $85 respectively).

I recently bought a Blue Yeti mic that is just fantastic and upon hearing the notion that "the room doesn't need to be soundproof, the mic does" it caused to approach the recording environment differently.

Obviously, a dead-room can't be beat but I packed a small cardboard box with some acoustic foam, set the mic inside with the 'cardioid" setting and the quality of recording amazed me. It cut out laptop fan noise, the AC that was on and reduced a neighbor mowing to about 5% of what it was! haha... those were deliberate tests.

I'm messing with VST plugins and Reason for backing and other instruments. That coupled with my Roland...well, it's only my fault if I can can't get anything recorded!

So, what is the groups experience with recording past just compression and reverb? I realize that's almost all that is used for solo guitar basics but I thought I'd ask to see what equipment besides guitars and amps people are using... and really interested in what software for the digital side people are using.

kj
thumbslinger

Re: Digital DAW's.. favorites?

Postby cgprnd » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:28 pm

If your operating system is compatible with your software, then you've conquered one of the biggest obstacles. If you can actually sit down and record with ANY of the software packages you've mentioned, then you're well on your way as far
as I'm concerned. I wouldn't even care which one......just so I were able to record!

Rande
Rande Dager
cgprnd

Re: Digital DAW's.. favorites?

Postby GaryL » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:18 pm

Hi Thumbslinger,
I use Audacity, the Beta version for DAW and Band in a Box (BIAB) (as my backup band). Audacity is free and with a little time quite easy to use and has a lot of features. I record BIAB backup into Audacity and go from there.
Regards,
GaryL
GaryL

Return to Guitars and Equipment