Drum machine recommendation?

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Drum machine recommendation?

Postby Len R » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:57 pm

On many CDs, performances, youtube videos, etc., I hear guitar players using a drum machine/rhythm machine. I'd like to be able to do that, but have no idea which box would be the best for playing Chet/Jerry/Merle style tunes. Or how to create the backup if it does not come pre-loaded. I have no experience with playing drums or creating drum tracks.

Thanks for any info (the more detail the better!).

Len
Len R

Re: Drum machine recommendation?

Postby thenorm » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:13 pm

A lot of guys use "band in a box" which reasonably duplicates most of your backup instruments.
It is fairly user-friendly...you Do have to Read The Directions but once you get the hang of how it works it is pretty good. You can add or subtract chords as you wish, take out any of the instruments in the "band", adjust the volume on them, set the tempo and you get an array of backup styles to work with.

You can record the final result onto a CD as a midi track if you want.

I like it. I've had use of mine for years and am still figuring out nuances for it.

I think they have a trial version.

band in a box

http://www.pgmusic.com/

btw, less is more with Any of these things. I usually "fire" the piano player and horns and just keep the bass, drums and sometimes the strings/guitar.

They're great. Absolutely dead on for keeping time (and forcing you to) and they'll play whatever you want as often as you want with No complaints.
thenorm

Postby Randy Finney » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:15 pm

Randy Finney

Postby videovejjie » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:49 pm

Hey Len, I use a drum/Rhythm unit, and use it on YouTube. It has about 100 or more preset drum/rhythms, and you can change the tempo, and the drums and bass that are in each preset. I just use the driums, and nothing else, as you can really get involved in making a track. The way I do it is simple and functional. The unit is a Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-3, and it works pretty well. Very simple. I know others have full tracks including bass and guitar and drum backups, but I chose this. Whatever works for you is the way to go.
Thanks
Ron Vejvoda
videovejjie

Postby Len R » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:41 pm

Thanks to all for the info. I have Band In A Box, but was looking for something like that in a portable box. Maybe the DR-3 will do the trick.
Best,
Len
Len R

Return to Guitars and Equipment