David (a tune for my brother)

A place to share your music! Post and view audio links.

David (a tune for my brother)

Postby keener » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:11 pm

About 4 years ago, right as I was getting ready for bed, this tune popped into my head. I picked up my old Alvarez and worked it out, then recorded it for my brother David. It went from being an idea to a recording in about 30 minutes.

Anyway, I hope you all like it. I think it's one of the prettiest tunes I've done. Simple but pretty, at least to me.

http://drkeener.s3.amazonaws.com/music/david.mp3

I be done for a while now. Thanks for putting up with me.

Bruce
Last edited by keener on Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keener

Re: David (a tune for my brother)

Postby RandeDager » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:23 pm

Bruce, not everyone who plays well has the gift for composing. You've proven that you have a creative mind that
can generate beautiful and intricate music.

thanks,

Rande
Rande
RandeDager

Postby Tompicks » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:31 pm

Very pretty. This sounds like a song for a "Susan" rather than a David.
Tom Redmond
Tompicks

Postby keener » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:58 pm

Thank you, Rande and Tom.

Tom, I hear what you're saying about the "Susan thing," and agree with you. But at that time, I had written maybe a dozen songs for my late wife (most went unrecorded, and are now basically forgotten), a couple of tunes/arrangements for Buster (more for his entertainment than anything else), and realized that I had written none for my biggest fan, basically my only fan, my brother. He's always loved my music, maybe especially since Dad died, perhaps because it reminds him of me and Dad playing together. Anyway, I figured that tune would be for him. I knew that if I didn't record it and name it that I might not remember it the next day (been there, done that), so I did it while it was on my mind.

But, yes, given that David is about 6 feet tall and 250 pounds, a more punchy song might be in order.
keener

Postby Tompicks » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:28 pm

Thanks for sharing your talent on here Bruce, I know your brother must have appreciated the song.

keener wrote:Thank you, Rande and Tom.

Tom, I hear what you're saying about the "Susan thing," and agree with you. But at that time, I had written maybe a dozen songs for my late wife (most went unrecorded, and are now basically forgotten), a couple of tunes/arrangements for Buster (more for his entertainment than anything else), and realized that I had written none for my biggest fan, basically my only fan, my brother. He's always loved my music, maybe especially since Dad died, perhaps because it reminds him of me and Dad playing together. Anyway, I figured that tune would be for him. I knew that if I didn't record it and name it that I might not remember it the next day (been there, done that), so I did it while it was on my mind.

But, yes, given that David is about 6 feet tall and 250 pounds, a more punchy song might be in order.
Tom Redmond
Tompicks

Postby keener » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:47 pm

Tompicks wrote:Thanks for sharing your talent on here Bruce, I know your brother must have appreciated the song.

Thank you, Tom. David did appreciate the tune, but of course he is prejudiced.

I just appreciate you guys putting up with me. It's been years since I've had anyone to pick with, and this is my way of getting my music out of me. I appreciate that so many of you have enjoyed what I've played decently, and tolerated what I've not done very well.

Thank you for running this Board and making it possible for us to all share so much and to keep Chet's spirit alive. Even our discussions of things that are not directly related to Chet (fingering techniques, nails, strings, the sounds of other pickers), they all relate to the love of music, and nobody loved music more than Chet. In addition to being named Mr. Guitar, he could have been named Mr. Music.

Thanks Tom.
keener

Postby Billy Anderson » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:31 pm

Bruce, it is obvious to me that David must be quite different from my brother. If I had to write a tune for him, the title would be something like "It's Really Sad That Mom and Dad Didn't Abstain After I Was Born!" :lol: Seriously, my brother is a great guy even if he did almost kill me when we were kids (accidentally, of course). Great per your usual posts. KOPAP. Billy
Billy Anderson

Postby smokymtguitar09 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:24 pm

Bruce,
That's a really nice tune you did for your brother. Thanks for sharing it.
Ronnie Evans
smokymtguitar09

Postby keener » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:25 pm

Thank you Billy and Ronnie. I appreciate the feedback very much.
Bruce
keener

Postby keener » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:18 pm

Hi Jack. Thank you sir,
Bruce
keener

Next

Return to Audio files