Favorite Record Album Covers

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Favorite Record Album Covers

Postby alexjones » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:01 am

Hey everyone,
So lately I have put a few of my favorite record album covers in frames and up on the wall. I know this is has probably been discussed before but I have noticed a strange vibe on the site lately and would like read your comments about this. So far I have the "Lover's Guitar", "Me and Jerry" and "Chet Atkins' Workshop" up. I really love those covers. What do you guys have hanging on your walls if any, or just favorite record covers. Thanks all, appreciate you and the site.
Alex
alexjones

Re: Favorite Record Album Covers

Postby George Beasley » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:18 am

I don't have anything hanging up right now, however I do have a copy of "Hi-Fi In Focus" signed by Chet, and it is framed. I also have a few other signed albums that aren't framed...another from Chet, and one from Tommy Jones. I used to have "Chet Picks on Jerry Reed", signed by both Chet and Jerry, but I gave it to a deserving picker friend a few years ago.
Thanks,
George
George Beasley

Postby RonBloor » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:37 am

I know this has been posted many times before and I apologize for stealing it... so to speak... I think it was done by our forum host/administrator Tom Redmond. I love it and think it is THE definitive album cover picture.
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby BillB » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:52 am

I have a nice poster framed and on the wall in my "music room" of "The Day Fingerpickers Took Over the World" album. On the Chet side of the poster, I have a wall hanger for my Gretsch Nashville Classic, and on the Tommy side is a hanger for my Maton EBG808TE. Other than that, I have "Chester & Lester" in a frame on a shelf next to an album by Willie Nelson and Ray Price (San Antonio Rose) that was instrumental (pun intended) in my playing guitar in the first place. I also have some Larry Carlton and Django stuff that's framed in that room, but the room itself is still a work in progress.

Bill B.
BillB

Postby thenorm » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:05 am

I just have one on the wall.

It's one of the "Best Of", the one with a low angle shot of Chet and his 59.
My first stationary bracket I had I made my own handle for and I used this album as a guide to bending the rod I used.

A friend had the thing autographed by Chet to me so it has all kinds of special meaning. Inside are some replies to letters I'd sent to Chet, a letter from PA Bigsby and a "from the desk of" note from Chet
thenorm

Postby alexjones » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:44 pm

Thanks for the replies. That compilation of covers is great! I figured all this stuff has been talke about before but I haven't been following the board for very long and certainly haven't seen it all. I figured I could have searched through the old posts, but there will come a time when "new" questions will become obsolete. Just want to see the board active is all. For quite some time I was always looking for pictures or small posters of Chet but couldn't really find much selection on the bay. Framing the album covers is a great alternative.

FOR NORM: Not to divert subjects but this is also something that has been on my mind. I would like to make my own bigsby wire handle. I just don't think they bent it correctly and I would like it to have kind of a different shape. What type of wire did you use and also what was your basic method? Did you heat the wire or was it already easily deformable? How did you do the top screw. Threading it wouldn't be tough but where did you find a silver knob. Maybe they are available, I haven't checked online. Thanks guys!
Alex
alexjones

Postby guitarchuck » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:00 pm

I'm a gospel guitarist, so one of my favorite albums is Chet's "Back Home Hymns" album. Chet signed it for me and I have it hanging on my wall. I also have a "masters hands series" poster of Chet's hands playing a Gibson CEC on the wall. He signed that for me too. I have some Gibson Chet Atkins guitar posters on the wall too.
guitarchuck

Postby thenorm » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:41 pm

What type of wire did you use

I just went to the hardware store and bought a piece of 1/4" rod. Unfortunately it wasn't cold rolled steel (which is what Chet used so it would not take chrome plating. I had to settle for nickel plating

and also what was your basic method?

I just cut off a length I thought I needed and bent it in an Xacto wire bending gadget. It was a bench mounted thing that had movable steel plugs. Hobby shops may have them. I'll see if I can find a link for it. It was a Loooong time ago.

Found it!

http://tinyurl.com/69aksk7

Did you heat the wire or was it already easily deformable?

I just bent it. No heating required

How did you do the top screw. Threading it wouldn't be tough but where did you find a silver knob.

On my home-mades (I made two for two different guitars) I dispensed with the knob. I just rounded the end with a grinder. I imagine you could find a half inch rod and round it off and cut and thread it if the knob was really important.
Paul Yandell made a custome rod out of welding rod which was a clever idea

The critical part is where the tip ends up. It should nestle comfortably in the crook of your little finger when you're in "Chet Position"

This is a shot of one of my pre-chet handle home mades. It has a deeper loop but, again, the key is the tip. When I finally got a 'real' chet handle I had no adulstment period which means I came pretty close setting the tip.

Maybe they are available, I haven't checked online. Thanks guys!
thenorm

Postby Larry Lenhart » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:58 pm

I have several favorites....a couple that you mentioned, The Workshop, and At Home, but I think my fav is the Christmas one with the orange 6120 and the snow on the ground....I really that is pretty. I have several on the wall, and one is a small 45 extended play where Chet is sitting under a tree pickin' a flat top....I think that pic says alot to me. I also have a wall of Chet things including his lifesize (well almost) cardboard of him standing there with an Orange Tennessean...next to that I have a frame of a pic taken when Chet signed my Gibson CG, and then below that I have a couple of his box sets resting against the wall, and top of the cabinet is all of the programs from CAAS going back to 1993. Thanks.
Larry Lenhart

Postby Terry McArthur » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:20 am

There is a signed "Fingerstyle Guitar" in a place of prominence in my work shop where I spend most of my time. The guitar on the cover has always been my favorite. I now have a CGP to treasure.

I was quite surprised when the CGP was introduced at CAAS. The white material on the pickups didn't look right. I have gazed at that cover for 50 years and have always perceived it as light gray and not convinced that the reissue is correct in this respect. I was also a bit disappointed that the reissue was not produced with the original cactus inlays and steer head on the headcap. But all in all a beautiful guitar.
Terry McArthur

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins