Flexinail

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Flexinail

Postby Paul Rauch » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:34 pm

Has anyone used Flexinail? The short video on their site (flexinail.com) is interesting. I wonder if there are any disadvantages. Thank you.
Paul Rauch

Re: Flexinail

Postby billhodges » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:06 pm

Paul
I tried flexinail and could tell no difference after using two bottles.
billhodges

Postby thenorm » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:02 pm

Well, I googled it and saw the video where he uses a hammer to hit the nail with a peanut under it to show he actually hit the nail hard enough to break the peanut.

To start with, his nail was longer than my picking nails are now.
2. He said he didn't like long nails because he played golf and softball and was about to trim the nail.
3. He said he was using the product for two months, twice a day.

It takes, on average, six months for a nail to fully grow from base to tip. I'm just wondering if someone can get that kind of length in two month's time.

The understanding I have about these kinds of products is that they would require diligent application for six months to be effective because they need to feed the nail from the root. Once you can actually see the nail it is like hair, dead. The only part of hair that is alive is the root in your scalp.

I'd do more research. Bill has already said it didn't work.
thenorm

Postby Paul Rauch » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:20 am

I appreciate the advice. Thank you.
Paul Rauch

Postby thenorm » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:53 am

You could give it a try and report back to us.

I bought one of those creams that were supposed to be based on horse hoof toughener. What I found was that I soon forgot to apply as directed so my experiment was for naught so I can't say honestly whether or not the stuff actually works. I don't think any nail treatment is an overnight fix. We tend to want a speedy result.

That last line applies to gutiar practicing too, come to think about it and there's no shortcuts there either...
thenorm

Postby Paul Rauch » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:55 pm

Based on the response here, I'm not going to bother with it. I always appreciate the information here on this board. Thank you.
Paul Rauch

Postby thenorm » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

I wonder if nail salons offer a treatment regimen or if they just have fifty different ways of sticking acrylic to your fingers.

Prob'ly not. Speaking of women's hands, nothing is prettier than a natural nail. I like the way nails were shaped when I was younger. The current fad of long square cut ends make fingers look like toes.

I think guitarists let their nails get too long and thereby inviting breakage. The thing to do is next time you break a picking nail, have a look at how long it is when it actually starts working right. In most cases you will find that it isn't nearly as long as it was when it broke. But the length it is when it starts working is pretty close to as long as it ever needs to be. Try to keep them at that length. If your nails split or peel, that's not normal. Askl a doctor or ask the women you know what to do about it.

A long time ago Paul Yandell said he took a little gelatin every day. He didn't say if it was in pill form. I do know Jell-o can be bought in single serving cups, eight to a pack I think. That might be beneficial. I have those several times a week. My nails have never given me trouble so I can't say if the Jell-o or lack of it means anything.

But it's cheap and tastes good.
thenorm

Postby Richard Hudson » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:26 pm

Norm, you have hit on something I have been thinking about also. With the understanding that nail length is a matter of personal preference, I have found that a shorter nail is just as good, if not better, for me. Several months ago I decided to let my natural nails grow after several years of having the acrylic overlays on 3 fingers of my right hand. As you mentioned, it took about 6 months for my natural nail to fully grow out, and it seems to me that my nails are getting stronger with the passage of time. The steel string acoustic guitar is murder on nails, and my gigging schedule along with playing steel string acoustic most of the time is the reason that I went to the acrylic overlay, because that was the only way I could keep decent nails all of the time. Now that I am playing steel string electric, and not gigging as much, I am not having any trouble making do with the natural nail, and it feels, well, more natural.

That's all I have to say about that (watched Forrest Gump the other night).

Thanks,
Richard Hudson

Postby George Beasley » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:44 pm

I get the best control with my nails around 1/8th - 3/16th inch long...a little shorter on the index finger, and longest on the pinky. At the longest, they are prone to cracking if I don't keep the edge polished smooth. I recently lost a ring finger nail playing acoustic, and had to cut it back to the quick. I ended up trimming all my nails back. I hate the way I sound now, but I will be ok in a week.
Thanks,
George
George Beasley

Postby thenorm » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:44 pm

On the old 'ask a player' feature Muriel Anderson had a guest column and she made a point of keeping the edges glass smooth. Of course she plays a classical guitar but still the advice has merit
thenorm

Next

Return to Guitars and Equipment