Some Reed Stuff

Watch and share videos from youtube

Some Reed Stuff

Postby keener » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:07 pm

On the second anniversary of Buster B's passing, I was feeling a bit down, but remembered that he always told me "when you're feeling down, learn a new lick or make one up." So, I made up a tune. And since I knew Thom Bresh was feeling down because of missing Buster, I dedicated the tune to Thom. Here's what he said on Facebook:

"I LOVE IT.... It made me smile and it will make everybody smile.. That Godin sounds gooooooood too! Thanks Bruce!"

Not being very inventive for naming, I just named it "Some Reed Stuff." I hope you like it. By the way, it uses a fonky tuning: 6th and 1st in D, 3rd in F#, all others unaltered.

Take care,
Bruce
keener

Re: Some Reed Stuff

Postby Roger Pratt » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:27 pm

Nicely done Bruce! As always you outdid yourself!
Roger Pratt

Postby Richard Hudson » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:24 pm

Bruce, that sounded good. I can't get my old bony fingers in the configurations you do.
Richard Hudson

Postby RandeDager » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:18 pm

Bruce, what's nice about the original things you come up with is that they add to our "toolboxes" and give us
ideas to implement for our own songs. I believe that tuning was the one Tommy Jones used for "Will the Circle
Be Unbroken" and I never thought of using it for anything as "funky" as what you just played. I also detected
a hint of the feeling of the middle section of "Huntin Boots". Your pull-offs in that section made me think of that.

Thanks for a nice post!

Rande
Rande
RandeDager

Postby keener » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:37 pm

Roger, Richard, and Rande (the three R's ?):

Hey, thanks guys. I enjoyed picking that one. I typically enjoy tunes I make up, at least for a day or two.

Richard, I know what you mean about the older hands not cooperating as well as they did. That's one of the reasons I keep churning videos out: I am doing while I still can. Sometimes it takes me longer to warm up than it's worth to me: by the time I've got my hands "stretched" and practiced, I'm ready to quit for the day.

Rande, yes I stole the middle licks from Huntin' Boots. Of course, the lick is not an exact copy, but is based heavily on it. That's kinda why I called it "Some Reed Stuff," instead of "Some Keener Stuff."

The tuning is close to what Tommy used for Will The Circle. The difference is that I also run the 1st string to D instead of just the 6th (he left the 1st in E, which would be my normal preference, but this tune needed the 1st tuned down, too.)
keener

Postby RandeDager » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:35 pm

Thanks for that correction about Tommy's tuning, Bruce. I remember now. I was already playing it in E before he showed me his version and I never went his direction on that song. Regarding aging, you and I are within months apart but so far I haven't noticed the slowing down of my hands but maybe I should be thinking and planning for that eventuality. By the way, I remember watching Chet play "Blue Angel" at the 1996 CAAS convention and he was 72 by then.

Rande
Rande
RandeDager

Postby Billy Anderson » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:12 pm

'Nuther goodun', Mr. Keener! If I could play like that, I would play like that. KOPAP. Billy
Billy Anderson

Postby keener » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:38 am

Thanks, Billy. You're a hoot, my friend.
keener

Postby Dave » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:46 pm

That's really nice man, thanks for posting it. ;)

Dave
Dave

Postby keener » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:41 pm

Thanks Dave. Glad you liked it.
Bruce
keener

Return to Video Files