Watch and share videos from youtube

One more Larry Carlton lesson

Postby craigdobbins » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:17 pm

More in depth...

craigdobbins

Re: One more Larry Carlton lesson

Postby George Beasley » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:55 pm

Craig,

I was in a workshop with Tommy E yesterday, and he said that him and Larry have been talking, and hope to put out a recording in 2012. He also spoke of listening to Larry's "Live In Japan" recording, and said you can "hear the commitment to every note that Larry played".
Thanks,
George
George Beasley

Postby BillB » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:39 am

Larry has been one of my favorite guitar players for a long time. In fact, I first became aware of him when I heard him on Chet's Stay Tuned album back in the mid-80s. Saw him live in concert with Chet once. For a while, he switched from his 335 to playing Valley Arts strats and teles. On his early VHS instructional video, he was playing a whitish Valley Arts strat with EMG pickups. I called Valley Arts to see about ordering a neck for a Fender Strat that I had, and they told me that Warmoth made their necks. So, when I called Warmoth, they told me that they also made the bodies for Valley Arts. I decided to build a Warmoth strat after that, and when I finished, it was quite similar to the one that Larry played in that video. That was in '88, and that guitar is pretty beat up looking now, but it really turned out to be a nice guitar. Anyway, I was and still am a Larry Carlton fan. Got to meet him once, and he seemed like a real nice guy.

Bill B.
BillB

Postby RandeDager » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:35 am

Bill, I was first aware of him when he was coming on the national scene, I believe in the 70's. Wasn't/isn't he married to the gospel singer Michelle Pillar?

Rande
Rande
RandeDager

Postby BillB » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:38 pm

Yeah, he is married to Michelle Pillar. In fact, I think they had been married only a short time when he was shot in the neck in a random act of violence. It happened in his own driveway while he was standing in the doorway of his home studio (Studio 335). Fortunately, he survived, but he went through a long recovery. The shooter was never captured. I guess his following album, On Solid Ground, might be my favorite Larry Carlton album (at least on electric guitar). He does a great instrumental cover of Clapton's, Layla, on that album. His acoustic albums, Alone But Never Alone, and Discovery, are very good albums as well. He is very talented on acoustic or electric, and is probably one of the most recorded studio guitarists ever. The list of artists and albums that he has played on is pretty remarkable.

Bill B.
BillB

Postby RandeDager » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:51 pm

Thanks for the extra background, Bill. I hadn't heard most of that before. I've also seen him many times as a guest over the years as an "extra band member" on a few of the late night TV shows. In his younger years I considered his hair style to be his most prominent physical feature. He has changed a lot in that regard. I didn't realize how formally trained he and technically knowledgeable he was.

Rande
Rande
RandeDager

Postby RandyBuckner » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:34 pm

Thanks for posting this, Craig. I've liked Larry since the 70's. My favorite recording is his live "Last Nite" album, recorded at the Baked Potato in L.A. I especially like his versions of Miles Davis' songs "So What" and "All Blues". What a great musician.

Randy
RandyBuckner

Postby Roger Hardin » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:34 am

I believe Larry won a Grammy for the guitar solo in the "Theme from Hill Street Blues." That is one of my all time favorite guitar solos.
Roger Hardin

Return to Video Files