Nylgut strings

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Nylgut strings

Postby George Beasley » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:18 pm

I bought a set of Aquilla Nylgut superior tension strings, and put them on my classic guitar the other day. I had been using Oasis composite strings. The nylgut strings are supposed to the the acoustic properties of true gut strings (which I have never played before), with the benefits of nylon. Not sure what I think of them. Out of the package, the treble strings seem stiffer than regular nylon material. Strung up, they sound good (though not necessarily better than the Oasis), but the texture seems rough, and maybe even prone to string noise.

Do any of you use Nylgut, and if so, what do you think of them?
Thanks,
George
George Beasley

Re: Nylgut strings

Postby RonBloor » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:28 pm

I haven't tried them George, but the owner of that company posted this on the classical guitar forum
http://www.delcamp.us/viewtopic.php?t=51880
Basically his newer strings will be polished, stronger, have less stretch and be milky white in color. He posted this last August, so probably the 20 sets of trial strings he was giving away are long gone... and perhaps they have started production on them. I find it interesting that we never stop searching for the perfect string :D I'm still using D'Addario .. mostly hard tension, but I've used normal and extra hard. I'm going to give their composite clear strings a try. Always searching :)
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby George Beasley » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:31 pm

Thanks Ron.

I definitely have the old type...milky white, and rough textured. I will switch back to the Oasis strings the next time I change, but will give his new Nylgut strings a try when they are available.

I always used D'Adarrio extra hard tension strings until I got my Sand guitar in 2009. Kirk shipped it with a fluorocarbon G string, and I liked it, so I decided to buy a set of strings with all treble strings made out of it. Not knowing the brands, I chose Oasis because they were new and on sale. I really liked the feel, and the sound seemed to have more presence than nylon...so I have stuck with them. Of course, I am still on the lookout for something better...hence trying the Nylgut.

My general routine now is to order three or four full sets from JustStrings.com, as well as an equal number of bass strings sets. I will change a full set, then change the bass strings when they start sounding flabby in 3 or 4 weeks...then when that set of basses start sounding bad, I change the whole set again, and use that as an opportunity for general maintenance....oil the fret board, polish the guitar, etc.
Thanks,
George
George Beasley

Postby RonBloor » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:07 am

George, it's always nice to understand what others are doing with their strings. I've never been very good about changing the strings on my nylons. They just don't seem to get worked in for at least a couple of weeks then I just leave them on for 3 to 6 months. I guess what that says... is... I don't practice enough :) or... I have too many guitars!!! whichever!!
Anyway, your comments about the "fluorocarbon G string" intrigues me. Perhaps the composite D'Addarios I have on order will offer a taste of that. I also order a number of sets at a time (perhaps not as often as you) from my favorite online string supplier :) ... to do otherwise is just not cost effective unless there is a big sale on them at a local shop. Even when they have a sale locally, I get nicked for taxes, which doesn't when buying online.. and since the shipping is free.. it's just cheaper to buy online. Times are changing and they don't favor the local stores.. at least in this case.
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Return to Guitars and Equipment