Steve Wariner's Guitar Laboratory

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Steve Wariner's Guitar Laboratory

Postby Tompicks » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:16 pm

Steve was nice enough to send me an advance copy of his new CD, "Guitar Laboratory" and I can tell you it is just terrific.

His goal was to create a CD that showcases a variety of guitar styles that Steve loves to play.

The title comes from a friend’s remark that Steve seemed like a “mad scientist” holed up in his studio while he was making it. Apparently Steve got so much encouragement from guitar fans after his "My Tribute to Chet Atkins" CD that he decided to take the time to play through riffs and grooves that he liked from a variety of styles. The time he spent in the studio has produced a crop of new songs that cover fingerpicking, swing, rock, jazz, country and even one Hawaiian flavored tune. Steve teams up with guitarist Leon Rhodes on a great version of Sugarfoot Rag and also Paul Yandell on "My Pal", a Chet style tune that makes you want to grab your guitar. Another song, "Crafty" sounds like a classic Jerry Reed instrumental.

I am just amazed he can play all these styles so well. What is most apparent is how much he loves playing the guitar, you can really hear his love for guitar music. Steve's talent is a deep, deep lake.

I'm am going to be wearing this CD out!
Tom Redmond
Tompicks

Re: Steve Wariner's Guitar Laboratory

Postby Tompicks » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:52 pm

Here is a link to a story with more detail on the project:

http://www.theboot.com/2010/11/30/steve-wariner-guitar-laboratory-new-album-2011
Tom Redmond
Tompicks

Postby Jo-Anne Park » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:15 am

Oh, this is great news. I'll be getting that one for sure. I've got Mark Hill's new CD on its way to me, and with Steve's new one coming out, my ears will have lots to chew on this month!
Jo-Anne Park

Postby Tompicks » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:55 pm

Steve put out a video today about the Guitar Laboratory project; he really has a deep appreciation for Paul and he refers to Paul Yandell as his "older brother".

http://www.vimeo.com/20204812
Tom Redmond
Tompicks

Postby Jo-Anne Park » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:33 pm

I just received my copy yesterday. This album is exquisite. A guitarist's album! Enough meat to last a year. I'm glad he's going to post mini lessons - wouldn't mind seeing some of that in action.
Jo-Anne Park

Postby keener » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:42 pm

Not only a world-class musician, but also a class act. I've never met him, but I have a very high regard for his music, how he promotes Chet's legacy, his humbleness, how he always gives credit where credit is due, how he upholds Paul, and how he seems to be such a genuine person. Great ambassador for we Chet, Paul, and Jerry fans.

Jo-Anne: does the material include any instructional items, such as tabs, or video "show me's?"
keener

Postby Jo-Anne Park » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:09 am

No, there are no training items in the CD package. He alludes to mini lessons coming in his recent "SteveWarinerOfficial" youtube. I doubt that he is a tab guy. Best we could get is a little video run through from him.

The CD booklet does have little stories about each song, sometimes slightly technical, sometimes reminiscing.
Jo-Anne Park

Postby keener » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:34 am

Thanks, Jo-Anne. WIth the title including the word "laboratory," I wondered, especially since Steve has been known to tab some of his work before, to provide instructional material. One example is from this interview of him in Acoustic Guitar: http://www.acguitar.com/article/default.aspx?articleid=25509. Another example is his DVD, entitled Steve Wariner: Secrets of a Hot Nashville Picker, which includes tabs for several of his licks (plus the video shows him getting the licks, and he does a good job of explaining them]. I think it'll be neat to see the instructional videos he has in the works ... he seems to enjoy that sort of thing, and does it very well. The Acoustic Guitar interview is very good, I thought.
keener

Postby Jo-Anne Park » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:19 am

The first of the mini lessons is up on the "SteveWarinerOfficial" Youtube site.
It's for the tune "Crafty", which is Jerry Reed influenced. Nice to see it slowed down.
Jo-Anne Park

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins