Trying to match the Baldwin tone

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Trying to match the Baldwin tone

Postby BruceM » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:16 am

Hi,

I have a Harmony H174 that is the same guitar as the Baldwin 801CP but without the electronics (Prismatone). Does anyone have any advice on installing a piezo pickup or pickup system that would allow me to emulate the Baldwin? I understand that there is a Prismatone II being made. Does anyone have any experience with it? Is it the best option for my "project"?

Thanks for the advice.
Bruce
BruceM

Re: Trying to match the Baldwin tone

Postby craigdobbins » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:23 am

Bruce-

Sam Kennedy makes the Prismatone II. The info you need is here:

http://www.craigdobbins.com/prismatone.html

The pickup really nails the sound. If you want the old Baldwin tone, it's the ONLY option.

Sam's email is:

ssamk@att.net

Craig
craigdobbins

Postby PhilHunt » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:31 am

Craig is right...it's the only pickup that can match Jerry's sound. Also using a MXR Dyna Comp pedal.
PhilHunt

Postby GlenHines » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:38 am

I just got a guitar with the PrismaTone II pickup. It really does nail Jerry's sound - not the licks, just the sound.
Glen Hines
GlenHines

Postby bill park » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:33 pm

Bruce –
Ditto to all the above. I recently had a Kennedy Prismatone installed in my 1969 Barbero flamenco (from Sherry-Brener - like Jerry used), and couldn’t be happier. Sam’s workmanship on the pickup and his newly designed preamp is outstanding.
Keep in mind, though, that it isn’t an easy or routine installation. The bridge of your H174 will need to be routed out to accept the Prismatone (or a whole new bridge constructed to accommodate it). Definitely a chore for a skilled repairperson (or brave souls like Phil Hunt – he did his own…!). I had master luthier Keith Adams (Bonnie, Illinois) install mine, complete with side-mounted sliders. He did a great job - here’s a couple photos:

Thanks,
Bill
bill park

Postby BruceM » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:59 am

Thanks, looks like a project worth attempting. The pictures are really helpful and the guitar looks great.

Bruce
BruceM

Postby PhilHunt » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:42 pm

Bill,
Everything was going so far so good with the bridge that I routed out and fit the Prismatone on the yamaha until I was playing it one day and while I was playing "Jerry's Breakdown" the bridge came flying off and almost hit me in the head!!
Luckily the Prismatone wasn't damaged, I just sanded the bottom of the bridge and re-sanded the top where the bridge goes and re-glued it with a stonge hide glue. This time it ain't going nowhere.
It's just an old beat up guitar anyway. It's been to hell and back, sort of like Jerry's old Baldwin. It's rolled around the truck of my car, it's got scratches, nicks, cracks. But, hell I don't care...as long as I can get that sound out of the pickup.
You're right though....if you have a really good guitar, Have someone like Keith Adams or Mark Piper do it.
PhilHunt

Postby Frank G T Robinson » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:30 pm

Hi,
Sorry for my ignorance but what exactly does a MXR Dyna Comp do and what are it's advantages?
Thanks,
Frank
Frank G T Robinson

Postby PhilHunt » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:52 pm

Frank,
It compresses the sound so that the attack on the strings isn't as harsh. If you look at Jerry playing Alabama Jubilee on Pop Goes the Country and look on the floor you'll see the little red MXR DYNA COMP pedal that Jerry is plugged into. I believe he also used it with the telecaster also.
You can really get that Reed tone when you hook the DYNA COMP up to it. You have to realize that the Baldwin pickup runs on 22.5 volts so it's really putting out the sound. Just to give you an idea of how loud the pickup is, I can only run my Fender Acoustasonic amp at 1.5 or maybe 2.
PhilHunt

Postby George Beasley » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:11 pm

Phil,

Did you take the bridge off when you first routed it, or did you leave it on the guitar? I need to install my Prismatone, and thought I might try to do it myself.

Thanks,
George
Thanks,
George
George Beasley

Next

Return to Guitars and Equipment