Off Topic Name that Tune

Watch and share videos from youtube

Off Topic Name that Tune

Postby Roger Hardin » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:05 pm

I have been trying to find the title of the tune Fred is dancing too at the beginning of this video(the minor key thing). Anyone have any idea. I feel that I should know this but I don't.

Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqp5SwC43IE
Roger Hardin

Re: Off Topic Name that Tune

Postby Ray Bohlken » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:31 pm

Roger, my hearing is not that good any more, but I thought I heard this song...."Puttin' on the Ritz" in it. Here is a link to it in another video.
Ray

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVTWDqH3xtQ
Ray Bohlken

Postby RandyBuckner » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:05 pm

Hi Roger -

The chord changes are similar to both "Puttin' on the Ritz", "I've Got Rhythm", and "It Don't Mean a Thing". There's a lot of chord substitution going on during the "B" and "C" sections.

The clip is from the movie, "Three Little Words" starring Fred and Red Skelton based (loosely) on the lives of Burt Kalmar and Harry Ruby who wrote the song "Three Little Words".

There's my two cents, for what they're worth in this economy

Randy
RandyBuckner

Postby Roger Hardin » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:22 pm

Thanks for the effort Randy and Ray.

Randy I don't feel so bad now that you don't know this tune as well. :lol:
Roger Hardin

Postby RandyBuckner » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:33 pm

"Randy I don't feel so bad now that you don't know this tune as well. :lol: "

:D
RandyBuckner

Postby Randy Finney » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:32 pm

It is just a working of the tune "Where Did You Get That Girl" - Harry Puck & Bert Kalmar
Randy Finney

Postby Roger Hardin » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:27 pm

Thanks Randy. The second tune in this video is "Where did you get that Girl." Are you saying this is some kind of intro or prelude to "Where did you get that girl?"
Last edited by Roger Hardin on Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger Hardin

Postby Randy Finney » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:49 pm

Yes. Officially it is called "Test Dance". Andre Previn is playing the piano. To me, it sounds as if he is just improvising using material from "Where Did You Get That Girl". Andre was a rockin' good piano player.

Here is a general music log of the movie. This one is 0:36 in.

[0:28] "Three Little Words" (a few bars demonstrated by Red Skelton for Fred Astaire - he continues to work on this tune all through the film);

[0:31] So Long! Oo-Long (How Long You Gonna Be Gone?) (sung by Fred Astaire and Red Skelton in music store);

[0:32] Who's Sorry Now? (beautifully sung by Gloria DeHaven);

[0:36] Test Dance (instrumental danced tentatively by Fred Astaire, includes reprise of "Where Did You Get That Girl," sung and danced by Fred Astaire to test his leg);

[0:39] Come On Papa (sung and danced by Vera-Ellen and Men's Chorus, Vera-Ellen dubbed by Anita Ellis);

[0:42] Nevertheless (I'm in Love with You) (sung and danced by Fred Astaire and Vera-Ellen, Vera-Ellen dubbed by Anita Ellis);

[0:49] All Alone Monday (sung by Gale Robbins in nightclub);

[0:42] You Smiled at Me (excerpt sung by Arlene Dahl);

[0:54] All Alone Monday (sung by Gale Robbins in the show "The Ramblers");

[1:03] I Wanna Be Loved By You (played on piano and sung by Fred Astaire, with Debbie Reynolds throwing in Boo-Boop-Ah-Doo);

[1:04] I Wanna Be Loved By You (sung by Helen Kane dubbing for Debbie Reynolds);

[1:06] Montage (Up in the Clouds from "Five O'Clock Girl" excerpts sung by Chorus);

[1:07] Thinking of You (sung by Anita Ellis dubbing for Vera-Ellen, beautifully danced by Fred Astaire and Vera-Ellen);

[1:14] Hooray for Captain Spalding (short excerpt sung by Red Skelton and Fred Astaire -- used in the stage comedy "Animal Crackers" by the Marx Brothers [also used in the film]);

[1:16] "I Love You So Much" (a few bars sung by Red Skelton, and lyric tried with the "Three Little Words" melody);

[1:17] I Love You So Much (sung and danced by Arlene Dahl and Men's Chorus);

[1:21] "The Shores of Araby" (excerpt sung by party guests);

[1:27] Thinking of You (excerpt sung by Arlene Dahl); [1:30] You Are My Lucky Star (short excerpt sung by Phil Regan);

[1:34] Fred Astaire and Red Skelton try to work on lyric for "Three Little Words";

[1:37] Medley: My Sunny Tennessee / Who's Sorry Now / I Wanna Be Loved by You / Thinking of You / So Long! Oo-Long / Nevertheless (sung by Fred Astaire and Red Skelton);

[1:40] Three Little Words (excerpt sung by Fred Astaire, reprised by Phil Regan)
Randy Finney

Postby Roger Hardin » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:29 pm

I guess I can't argue with that. That is some very nice improv.

Thanks Randy
Roger Hardin

Return to Video Files