La Marcellaise

A place to share your music! Post and view audio links.

La Marcellaise

Postby RandyBuckner » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:46 pm

Here's my recording of "La Marcellaise", written by Thom Bresh based on a melody by Marcel Dadi. I reworked it slightly as a tribute to Marcel.

Hope you all like it, and thanks for listening.

Keep on Pickin'

Randy

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_7026901
RandyBuckner

Re: La Marcellaise

Postby keener » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:59 pm

Very nice, Randy. Thank you for sharing,
Bruce
keener

Postby Richard Hudson » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:58 pm

That's some good pickin', Randy.
Richard Hudson

Postby Roger Pratt » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:02 pm

Mighty Fine picking Randy, Thanks!!
Roger Pratt

Postby John Knowles » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:52 am

Randy,

Nice playing and a really good recorded sound. I think La Marcellaise was written by Marcel and arranged by Bresh. Marcel's original is in the key of D. Bresh's version is in several keys. I love how you have embellished Bresh's version.

La Marcellaise is one of my favorites of Marcel's compositions. I borrowed a little of it for the ending to "Cafe of Dreams," a tune I wrote in tribute to Marcel. Cafe is in the key of A. I played Marcel's melody in A over a G chord and and ended on an F# chord.

I'm really glad to see you keeping Marcel's music alive.

John
John Knowles

Postby RandyBuckner » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Thanks for the kind words fellas - it means a lot coming from you all.

John - you're right about Thom arranging Marcel's melody - when I was tracking down the copyright owner, Bresh told me (via facebook) that he had rearranged the song. The track was recorded at a studio here in town called "The Studio", and the mics used, I believe, were Neumanns. I'll be sure to tell Eric Shuchman, the engineer, that you liked his work. I played my Blueridge BG-140, because I didn't have my Moll yet.

My focus lately has been to try and preserve the music of Marcel, and Merle Travis - I feel their music needs to be in front of the public more. When I was a kid, it was Marcel who actually kick-started my fingerstyle playing. I read about him in Guitar Player and sent off for his records. I had been listening to Chet and Merle, but had not yet conceptualized their style - Marcel was my "Rosetta Stone", so to speak. This year I'm going to start learning more of the lesser known songs of Travis and Dadi.

Thanks again, and I hope you all stay warm during this blizzard.

Randy
RandyBuckner

Return to Audio files