Charlie Louvin passes away

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Charlie Louvin passes away

Postby Bill Scott » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:10 pm

Betty Louvin reported her husband passed away in the early morning hours.

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/201 ... louvin.php

Rest in peace.
Bill Scott

Re: Charlie Louvin passes away

Postby craigdobbins » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:55 pm

Thanks Bill. I am so sorry to hear this. The Louvin Brothers were a big part of my life growing up. My Dad and I attended Charlie's "May on the Mountain" music festival in Henagar AL every year. We visited the Loudermilk homeplace several times back in the 70's, and met Charlie and Ira's folks. My Dad was from Sand Mountain, so he felt a special kinship to the Louvins.

Craig
craigdobbins

Postby keener » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:21 pm

The music of the Louvin Brothers has had a profound impact on my life. May Charlie rest in peace.
keener

Postby thenorm » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:30 pm

I saw Ira and Charlie along with Homer and Jethro at a small venue in the late sixties

Often copied, never equalled
thenorm

Postby craigdobbins » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:40 pm

About 15-20 years ago, my Dad and I saw Charlie in the barbecue tent at the Foggy Hollow Bluegrass festival, near where we live. He wasn't on the bill at the festival, so I asked him what he was doing there. "Siphoning gas." he said with a big grin.

Craig
craigdobbins

Postby Gary Smith » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:12 pm

Sorry to hear of his passing.
As George Jone once sang, "Whos going to fill their Shoes" means more each day.
Gary Smith

Postby Bill Scott » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:07 pm

craigdobbins wrote:Thanks Bill. I am so sorry to hear this. The Louvin Brothers were a big part of my life growing up. My Dad and I attended Charlie's "May on the Mountain" music festival in Henagar AL every year. We visited the Loudermilk homeplace several times back in the 70's, and met Charlie and Ira's folks. My Dad was from Sand Mountain, so he felt a special kinship to the Louvins.

Craig

You are a lucky man, Craig. What were those "May on the Mountain" festivals like, especially music-wise?
Bill Scott

Postby RonBloor » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:14 pm

In reading about Charlie, I didn't realize that he was a cousin of John D. Loudermilk the legendary songwriter and good friend of Chet. RIP Charlie.
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby craigdobbins » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:36 pm

Bill-

"May on the Mountain" was always great. It was held on the Louvin homeplace. They cleared out the "holler" that led down to the creek and built an outdoor stage. It was sort of a natural amphitheater. The first Louvin Brothers museum was also there, in a converted outbuilding. It had lots of memorabilia, such as clothing (including Nudie suits), some of Ira's mandolins, Ira's woodcarvings, lots of old records, sheet music, and photos, etc. There were also a couple of huge scrapbooks that anyone could look through.

The first couple of years Mrs. Loudermilk was still alive, so we would stop in and visit with her a few minutes. There was a huge portrait of the Louvins on the wall (the one on the back of the Family Who Prays LP) in the main room. Charlie's Mom would always ask us "Have you heard the one that Ira wrote for me?" ("God Bless Her, Cause She's My Mother")

Music-wise, it was a mixture of bluegrass, old-time country, and gospel. Jim and Jesse were usually there with their great band (including Allen Shelton on banjo). The Sally Mountain Show (with a young Rhonda Vincent), the Osborne Brothers...can't remember all the groups. You could walk right up and visit with the performers, very low-key. There were also lots of lesser knowns and local folks, and everybody did a few Louvin Brothers songs. Of course, Charlie always performed, too.

Craig
craigdobbins

Return to Announcement and News