Gretsch Ukulele

Need help? Don't know how to embed youtube videos? Can't listen to mp3's on the forum? Problems browsing the Chetboard? Find the solution here!

Gretsch Ukulele

Postby Larry Marchino » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:01 pm

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about Gretsch ukuleles. I had never seen one; but a friend just gave me a Gretsch ukulele. It is nothing particularly special in appearance, but it appears to be made of mahogany. The only marking I can find on it anywhere is the Gretsch logo on the headstock. There is nothing visible on the inside through the sound hole. It appears to have been around for a while, but I don't know how old it is. I don't know anything about the Gretsch name when it comes to ukuleles. It needs a little work to make it playable, but I am happy to have it with the Gretsch name. Any info, ideas or thoughts about it would be appreciated. Thanks

Larry Marchino
Larry Marchino

Re: Gretsch Ukulele

Postby rhirvine » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:31 am

That is very interesting. A friend of mine "inherited" her mother's old uke and it is a Martin! Judging by the size I'd say it's concert size or maybe even tenor size. We were told in a uke shop that building them helped get Martin through some rough times when people didn't have the money to buy guitars. So Gretsch got into that market too. Maybe Gibson did also, I wonder. I have a Silvertone soprano uke which was my first stringed instrument which I got when I was 11 or 12. I bought strings for it a few days ago but while it was a good size for my small 11 year old hands it seems too tiny now to really enjoy playing it.

Rich Irvine
rhirvine

Re: Gretsch Ukulele

Postby rhirvine » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:51 pm

I guess no takers. I recently found the ukelele that my parents gave me for Christmas when I was 12. I got strings for it and am having a blast playing it. It is a soprano uke thus the smallest of the ukes. I feel like Tal Farlow must have felt playing a smaller scale guitar!

Rich Irvine
rhirvine

Return to Support