He'll Have to Go

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Re: He'll Have to Go

Postby Douglas » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:30 pm

rhirvine wrote:Not to be argumentative but here is clip of an Irishman named Al Green who sounds so much like Jim Reeves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irGN0FERjgk

Maybe D.P. was referring to this guy when he sent me his attempt at "He'll have to go". Just sayin'. I couldn't find a clip of him doing "He'll have to go" on youtube.

Rich

No it’s likely not Al Grant in OP’s download. Here’s a link to Al Grant doing He’ll Have to Go. Notice that the timbre in the lower registers is not at as resonant.

Doug

https://youtu.be/ctBUGhPiRtA
Douglas

Postby rhirvine » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:20 pm

you're probably right Douglas. Al Grant can't hit the "way down low" note like Jim Reeves could. Maybe it was ripped off a Jim Reeves recording.

Rich Irvine
rhirvine

Postby Doug Working » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:18 pm

I’ll have to say he was very, VERY close!! I was indeed amazed. The nuances of difference between his voice and Jim’s are so minuscule that only a trained ear (someone who has listened to hundreds of jim’s recordings) could tell it from the original. Is it real, or is it Memorex?

I grew up with a constant musical diet of Jim (and of course Eddie and Chet and a few others) but suffice it to say Jim’s voice is burned in my brain. This is EXTREMELY close! As ( said, I can only offer a poor imitation as a vocal impersonator, but this man is fabulous. Kudos!
Doug Working

Postby rkk2786 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:43 pm

I know a side by side comparison will be done real soon. It will be easy to tell if it's indeed JR
rkk2786

Postby Doug Working » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:39 pm

I saw a thing on TV about Rich Little. They took his best impersonation of Bogie, and used a machine to juxtapose it with actual audio of Bogart’s voice. It showed a printout of a voice print. Our voices make distinct patterns. Bottom line, what fooled the human ear does not fool the machine! You could SEE the difference between the ersatz and the genuine.

There were definite minute differences that the ear just can’t pick up.

That’s what they need to do with this! A VOICE PRINT!! That would settle the issue.
Doug Working

Previous

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins