D'angelico guitar

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

D'angelico guitar

Postby Joeb » Fri May 31, 2019 10:39 pm

Hi Joeb here. I just picked up a brand new D'Angelico XL-1 hollow body guitar. I must say I'm at awe of this guitar. The neck is nice and fast and kinda on the slim side and the pickup sounds nice and warm. The finish I got was the Fiesta Red. Man that color really pops. This guitar is a great work of high quality. This was setup for the laid back jazz player I changed all that with Ernie ball 10's on it. The guitar came with 12's on it. That was to heavy for me. Nice guitar great quality. I got mine for 600.00 no case they listed them awhile back at 1600 dollars. I play finger style so the string switch worked out great for me. Anyone looking for a real real decent guitar get one of these big baby's they are worth every penny I paid for it. Joeb
Joeb

Re: D'angelico guitar

Postby Roger_Pratt » Fri May 31, 2019 11:13 pm

Hey Joe.......Congrats on your new guitar!! I've been looking at those for a while now but I don't know anyone around here that has one that I can hear in person. Take care my friend!!
Roger_Pratt

Postby Hendrik » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:53 am

I love my EXL-1 Joeb! A great guitar for a very reasonable price. I like mine with heavier strings, 012-052's. Larry Odham advised me to go heavier. I play a lot of the early Chet and that 'Knoxville' sound was a lot heavier than later in his career. It's a bit more Travis like. If you are used to play light, than it can take some time to get use to it, but I would really advice to try it sometime. Apart from the fuller sound it also strengthens you fingering and attack.

I recorded this cover of an early Chet arrangement of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot a little while ago. Here you can hear the heavier gauge.

Hendrik

Postby Joeb » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:21 pm

JoeB here again. Nice playing. Are you using round strings or flat wound strings on your guitar? They sound like round to me. I have a set of 12's flatwound on hand had but I'm now using A'ddairo 10's round on mine at this time. I might switch to the flat wound for a warmer tone . Let know what strings you have on your guitar. All the best. JOEB.
Joeb

Postby LMark » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:59 pm

Hendrik, I love the early Chet. You've got that sound down quite well. Post some more? LMark
LMark

Postby Hendrik » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:44 am

Joeb wrote:JoeB here again. Nice playing. Are you using round strings or flat wound strings on your guitar? They sound like round to me. I have a set of 12's flatwound on hand had but I'm now using A'ddairo 10's round on mine at this time. I might switch to the flat wound for a warmer tone . Let know what strings you have on your guitar. All the best. JOEB.

Thanks! I think I used Elixir 12152 Nanoweb Heavy Electric Guitar strings.

LMark wrote:Hendrik, I love the early Chet. You've got that sound down quite well. Post some more? LMark

Appreciate it Mark! Will try to record some more of those old songs soon.
Hendrik

Postby Hendrik » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:09 am

Here's a new video I just recorded of Chet's arrangement of When It's Peach Pickin' Time in Georgia. It's from an old radio transcription. This one can also be found on one of the CD's with the Carter Sisters radio transcriptions. Hope you like it!

Hendrik

Postby Roger_Pratt » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:31 pm

Mighty Fine Hendrik!!
Roger_Pratt

Postby LMark » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:00 am

Yeah! Sounds great! LMark
LMark

Postby Ray Bohlken » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:13 pm

Great playing, Hendrik. I like the guutar's tone, too.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Next

Return to Guitars and Equipment