New Jerry Reed Tutorials

Watch and share videos from youtube

New Jerry Reed Tutorials

Postby PhilHunt » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:31 pm

I added two more little Reed lessons on youtube today "Tennessee Stud" and "Does Anybody Wanna Boogie".
Thanks Bill Park for that Correct C movement in Does Anybody Wanna Boogie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooIFgRcyjsM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pHwMeARXts

Phil
PhilHunt

Re: New Jerry Reed Tutorials

Postby keener » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:22 pm

Super picking and super job explaining Anybody Want to Boogie.

Good to see you back.

Bruce
keener

Postby awykle » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:30 pm

Good ones Phil! Keep up the good work. The Baldwin/Prismatone really sounds good!
awykle

Postby guitarchuck » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:06 pm

Phil,
What amp & reverb are you running that Prismatone through? You get such a great sound!
guitarchuck

Postby PhilHunt » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:16 am

Chuck, I run it into my Fender Acoustasonic Amp. That amp has a great bass response. I can only put it on about 1 1/2 or 2 because with the 22.5 volts battery box it puts out some serious sound. The only effect I use is the hall reverb effect built into the amp.
PhilHunt

Postby GlenHines » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:36 am

Phil -
Those are really great videos. Thanks for posting them, and for all the work it takes to get to where you can make videos like that. I just got a McCullough guitar that has one of the new PrismaTone pickups on it and am really happy with the sound. I'm a bit late coming to that party but just couldn't afford a new guitar - and happily found a used one. Got to learn some more of Reed's music.
Glen
Glen Hines
GlenHines

Postby bill park » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:40 pm

PhilHunt wrote:I added two more little Reed lessons on youtube today "Tennessee Stud" and "Does Anybody Wanna Boogie".
Thanks Bill Park for that Correct C movement in Does Anybody Wanna Boogie!
Phil

Great job, Phil, thanks for posting those. Wish I had had a good teacher like you back when I was trying to figure out Jerry's stuff! Back then, you had to carefully lift up the turntable's tone arm from the record and play a lick back over and over until it "sounded" right on your guitar. Oftentimes I thought I had something right until I met guys like Craig Dobbins and Sonny Thomas at the early conventions - we'd play the same tune with entirely different fingerings...!
Keep it up,
Bill
p.s. When you "rock" that C lick on 'Boogie' -- on beats 2 and 4 try hitting an open 5th string with your thumb ;)
bill park

Postby PhilHunt » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:55 pm

Bill,
Yeah I still gotta work some little ticks out of that "Does Anybody Wanna Boogie", every time I listen to it, I hear something new that Reed is doing. For the longest time I thought he was doing the C chord barred on the 5th fret, now when I hear it I can tell that it's a secondary guitar playing that barred C on the 5th fret and Reed is doing his little Boogie thing where you showed me. I'll try what you you are talking about.
I'm working on some new tunes. My latest attempt is "Just Another Rag" from Superpickers. I'll have that one up on youtube soon.
Thanks Bill!
Phil
For those who don't know Bill Park.....HE'S A MONSTER REED PICKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PhilHunt

Postby keener » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:05 pm

I loves that C lick. (Well, actually, I love the whole thing.)

I noticed, though, that Jerry just "defaults" to a 5th fret C in That's Alright Mama, getting a C6-C7 kicker on the 4th string: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OtozxdraDU

Otherwise That's Alright Mama is pretty similar to Does Anybody Want to Boogie.

Phil, I like how you qualified that "this is what I _think_ Jerry did." It's probably Exactly how he did it, at least once, and probably several times. But, I suspect if we could go back in time and watch every one of his performances of it, we'd see him play it a few different ways (and that is how it should be).

Again, Phil, super job. I'm glad you're back to posting videos and look forward to your future ones.

Bruce
keener

Postby stambi » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:45 pm

Great.Thank you Phil. We are waiting for The son of the claw.
Boris Stambuk
stambi

Return to Video Files