Chet / Kentucky in CGDGBE tuning

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Chet / Kentucky in CGDGBE tuning

Postby Doug Working » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:34 pm

I'd never heard Chet do this tune in this tuning. The change in tuning in Chet's hands makes the tune so irresistible. After he pulls off that lick at 2:18 he just flashes a sly grin! Gotta love it!

https://youtu.be/u7PO6h0aO24
Doug Working

Re: Chet / Kentucky in CGDGBE tuning

Postby rhirvine » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:09 pm

I remember that performance. I didn't know he used that tuning. Is that the tuning he used for "Blue Gypsy" and "Black Mountain Rag" ? I used to play both of those tunes but haven't for decades now. Probably will never try either again.
rhirvine

Postby Doug Working » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:21 pm

On "Guitar Country" or "More of That Guitar Country," he played it in standard tuning. This was the first I've heard him play it in alternate tuning. The other two tunes, Chet recorded more than one of the latter one you mentioned, so he could have varied tunings, but at least one arrangement he used an open G tuning.

I'm pretty sure Blue Gypsy was CGDGBE.
Doug Working

Postby kwarren » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:05 pm

I believe the tune Kentucky, played on the video, is in the tuning DGDGBE isn't it???
kwarren

Postby Steve Moran » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:01 am

Yes, it's in DGDGBE. Thanks
Steve
Steve Moran

Postby rhirvine » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:24 pm

Yeah! DGDGBE. Now that you mention it that's the tuning I used to emulate Chet's versions of "Black Mountain Rag" and "Blue Gypsy". Thanks!
rhirvine

Postby Doug Working » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:32 pm

I listened to the video a few times, trying to hear the chords he's using. I was able to replicate the arrangement "fairly" well.

But when I retuned to plain old drop D, I was able to get a nice arrangement, too, albeit different than the one in the video.

However, I do really like the sound of the first tuning. It's a rich sound.

I have a video DVD where Chet plays "Greensleeves," and I believe the arrangement is in CGDGBE. It's really beautiful, the way Chet plays it. I'd like to learn that one, too.

I got me some "Chet goals," this year. Reaching for the stars, as far as learning new Chet arrrangements. Maybe my goals are lofty, but they always say if you reach for the stars, you won't come up with a hand full of mud.:)

So I got ORGANUZED. I went through every Chet tune I want to learn, (even if they are so apparently difficult that my brain says "No. You can't learn THAT one. Way too hard!") Shut up brain!! And then I wrote them out on a sheet of paper, then I taped it right on the front of my amp, where I can see it every day and it will be in my face to remind me. To remind me "Hey boy! You gotta do this!!"

Then I went through all my Chet CD's, and found the CD's with the particular tunes on them, and I put these CD's on top of the stack with a rubber band around them to keep them handy and not get mixed up with the other ones.

So now I'm organized.

Organization is half the battle.
Doug Working

Postby Steve Moran » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:57 pm

Good luck Doug - best wishes
Steve Moran

Postby DagerRande » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:05 pm

You can actually hear that low C. I believe that Buster B. Jones used this tuning in "Funky Fingers".
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Doug Working » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:27 pm

Steve Moran wrote:Good luck Doug - best wishes

I'm a hard worker. I just got tired of diddlin'. I've been nickel and diming these great Chet arrangements, when I should have been buckiling down. But that all changes, now.

First pay off: I've got Londinderry Aire down tight enough that I'm ready to perform it in church. I put in my request, and they will let me do it this Saturday.
Doug Working

Next

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins