Jerry Swingin' '69

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Jerry Swingin' '69

Postby Doug Working » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:54 pm

This is a pretty cool channel. This guy has tabbed about a massive amount of guitar recordings. Puts the tab right on the screen as the music plays. Pretty handy.

He did a couple Chet tunes, as well as some from "Standard Brands." Seems to have done an excellent job.

Here is Jerry's cut of "Swingin'' '69"with tab.

https://youtu.be/sODnwXrc_yM
Doug Working

Re: Jerry Swingin' '69

Postby Ray Bohlken » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:24 am

Thanks for this link, Doug. I checked it out. All of these guys' playing is beyond me, but it's interesting to see how other people work these songs out.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby DagerRande » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:02 pm

Ray and Doug, the tab for this has been available from Craig Dobbins for quite a while. Ray, you commented about the difficulty. This is in a different category than just using an alternating thumb as with the traditional "Chet style". It's much more difficult when two lines are more independent from each other like they are here. But once you learn something like this, then other songs with this same "type of difficulty come easier. I learned it from the record when it was new and it changed many things after that! Lot's of patience needed, I know!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Doug Working » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:53 pm

Two lines independent from each other.

Chet and Jerry used that a lot! It's always a challenge to do that well. It's pretty common in some classical guitar etudes. But good for building finger independence..

As I said, on his channel he has a few Chet tunes and some from Chet and Lenny tabbed out. My hat's off to this guy. That has to be a massive amount of work!

He must have a very good ear. Or is there now software available that can decipher audio recordings of guitar and turn it into tab? I have often wondered about that. Sure would save a lot of work if there was such software.
Doug Working

Postby DagerRande » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:04 am

Doug, one thing I've learned over time is that your ear can improve through practice and pushing yourself. Once you've managed to learn something that once mystified you, you aren't so mystified the next time you hear that in a different song. Then you begin to hear new things that you've never heard before and you tackle those. You just peel away the layers and the more you've figured out, the more you're able to unravel more complexity and are able to better isolate newly undiscovered portions. I'm not a music teacher and I have no formal background, but I've had a lifetime of experience with lots of trial and error. I also don't claim to "have arrived"!
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby Doug Working » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:28 pm

Ya' know, I agree. Humbleness is so very helpful. Chet was a humble, self effacing guy. That may be one of his biggest secrets of success.

But as far as guitar, you have to take the attitude (always) that "I haven't arrived yet."

The moment pride sneaks in, and you feel you have "arrived." at that moment you are dead in the water.
Doug Working

Postby Doug Working » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:51 pm

Oh, by the way, here's Jerry playing it and remembering the lion's share of it even years after he recorded it:

https://youtu.be/9FhiGMhARj0
Doug Working

Postby DagerRande » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:00 pm

Doug, I was just trying to make the point that whatever level your ear is at at any given time, it doesn't have to remain stagnant. I think many people decide too early that they "just don't have it".
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby Doug Working » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:34 pm

You're right. It's called small thinking.

Learning guitar is a battle from the start...but most of the battle is in the mind!!

If we can win THAT battle, just about anyone can learn to play. Even people with no hands who have leaned to play with their feet.

Or people with most of their fngers burned in a fire.

It all starts with a mind; a BELIEF that I CAN DO THIS!

And that applies not only to learning guitar overall, but even challenging pieces, of which Chet left us scads!!

I might have said in another post concerning Chet's arrangement of Londonderry Aire, that there was a time when my mind made it out to be so imposing. It was a GIANT. And I felt like a grasshopper. (I recently read that story in the Bible.) They were afraid to go and posess the land, because there were Giants in the land, and they were in their own sight as grasshoppers.

When we encounter a truly challenging arrangement we can feel so intimidated because it seems so big in our mind. And as long as we cling to that mental picture, we put the brakes on and we won't even try.

But when we change our mental picture and actually believe I CAN LEARN THAT, we take the brakes off, and most of the time we will surprise ourself at what we can actually do when we knuckle-buckle down and just "get 'er done."
Doug Working

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins