Two obscure Chet CDs

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Two obscure Chet CDs

Postby Larry Marchino » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:54 pm

I just pulled out two of my Chet CDs to listen to this morning that I haven't played for some time and as I was listening it occurred to me that there may some folks out there in Chet Land that are not familiar with them.

Discover Japan (BVCP-7398) is dated 1995, made and released in Japan and contains 13 tracks of Japanese tunes. All the liner notes are written in Japanese, however there are English phonetic pronunciations of the tune titles. The tunes are unfamiliar, at least to me, but the tone, technique and style are pure Chet.

The Gingham Dog and the Calico Cat (RE2 1827) is dated 1999 although some of the literature refers to it being a "1990 collaboration between Chet and Amy Grant". It was released by "Rabbit Ears"and contains 14 tracks. Track one is the title track, a 22 minute children's Christmas story narrated by Amy Grant with Chet playing the music. (Rabbit Ears produced a series of children's stories with music by various artists.) The remaining 13 tracks are just music with Chet and Paul playing all acoustic. All tunes are new recordings (nothing re-released from previous CDs) and consist of two or three Christmas songs, and an early version of "Waiting for Susie B" and "Smokey Mountain Lullaby", and some "untitled" tunes. Some are rather short-ish clips but there are different versions of Silent Night and Smokey Mountain Lullaby. It is really great to hear just Chet and Paul on these tracks!

Forgive me if this is old news to most of you but I thought there might be some Chet nuts out there that were unaware of these two items. Thanks.
Larry Marchino
Larry Marchino

Re: Two obscure Chet CDs

Postby DagerRande » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:44 pm

Larry, I remember on the old board a few years ago when the Japan album was mentioned, but I've never even heard of the second one! I remember Chet collaborating with Amy around that time but I never knew there was an album. I'm wondering if Vince was ever jealous? Vince should have made an album with Chet!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Steve Moran » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:19 pm

Thanks for sharing that Larry - have not heard those.
Steve
Steve Moran

Postby jean-luc » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:23 pm

Discover Japan was released only in Japan in 1973.
Chet recorded this album of traditional Japanese songs in memory of his tour in Japan in 1965
1973 Discover Japan LP RCA 5047 (Japan)
reissue 1995 CD BMG Victor BVCP-7398 (Japan)
reissue 2008 CD BMG BVCM-35546 (Japan)
1. Hamabe No Uta (beach song) 2.Yurikago No Uta (cradle song) 3. Sato No Aki (autumn in my place of origin-family home) 4. Natsu Wa Kinu (here comes summer) 5. Mikan No Hanasaku Oka (hillside of blossoming tangerine trees) 6. Jyogashima No Ame (rain on Joga Island) 7. Kojyo No Tsuki (moon over the castle ruins) 8. Akatonbo (red dragon fly) 9. Yashi No Mi (coconut meat) 10. Hana (cherry blossoms) 11. Habu No Minato (Hau Harbor) 12.Furusato (place where one spent childhood) 13. Yuyake Koyake (glowing sunset)

The Gingham Dog and The Calico Cat was released in 1993
Here is an extract from an article published on the website "Funky Junk" in 2001 “ A History and Discography Of Chet Atkins Christmas Recordings” :
A real novelty is the 1990 collaboration of Chet and Amy Grant on the
classic children's Christmas story The Gingham Dog & The Calico
Cat. Amy Grant tells the story and Chet provides the background
music. This is available as a video and CD soundtrack. The CD
includes the 30 minute soundtrack of the video along with 13
additional tracks of just music (without Amy Grant). ll the pièces
are played on acoustic guitar by Chet and his long-time sideman Paul
Yandell. They perform variations on several traditional Christmas
songs and play various untitled instrumentais. There is an early
version of " Waiting For Suzie B. " And of real interest is the tune
"Smokey Mountain Lullaby". This was later re-recorded as a duet
played by Chet and Australian guitar virtuoso Tommy Emmanuel for
their album The Day Finger Pickers TookOver The World. To top it
off the song was actually nominated for a Grammy Award in 1997!
Although "Smokey Mountain Lullaby" didn't win a Grammy, it
proved Chet is still a master at composing on the guitar

1993 The Gingham Dog and The Calico Cat (Amy Grant) CD Rabbit Ears 70210
1. The Gingham Dog & The Calico Cat (as told by Amy Grant) 2. Waiting For Suzie B. 3. untitled instrumental 4. God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen (variations) 5. untitled instrumental 6. untitled instrumental 7. untitled instrumental 8. untitled instrumental 9. Smokey Mountain Lullaby 10. Joy to the World (variations) 11. untitled instrumental 12. untitled instrumental 13. Silent Night 14. Smokey Mountain Lullaby (reprise)

Regards, Jean-Luc
jean-luc

Postby Larry Marchino » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:23 pm

Thanks Jean-Luc, You had more information than I had!
Larry
Larry Marchino

Postby DagerRande » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:36 pm

Larry, he has more information than just about anyone I've seen! When it comes to recordings in our area of interest,
Jean-Luc is our own personal "Library of Congress"! :D
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Doug Working » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:49 pm

That was a great post!

I've always loved the Japan album for the BEAUTIFUL tone Chet gets on these exotic tunes. Pure tone. Lots of sustain. He really displays his mastery of the instrument. Some of those tunes are just HEAVENLY beautiful. I posted some on my Chet channel on Y'tube.

But I haven't heard the tunes from the Gingham Dog album. Man, I sure would like to, though! I've always liked Amy's singing, and I bet her and Chet sound fabulous together..
Doug Working

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins