COLLECTION FOR SALE

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

COLLECTION FOR SALE

Postby pattie surman » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:19 pm

NO INDIVIDUAL PIECES, PLEASE ONLY INQUIRE FOR SERIOUS INTEREST. 1954 6120,ONE OF FIRST 50 MADE MINT ORIGINAL STRAP SIGHNED BY CHET. 1956 6120. 1960 6120. 1962 DOUBLE CUT 6120. 1956 6121. 1958 SINGLE CUT COUNTRY GENT SIGNED BY CHET,OVERSIZED HEADSTOCK, SIGNPOST PICKGUARD.1960 SINGLE CUT COUNTRY GENT.DOUBLE CUT COUNTRY GENT. CHET ATKINS NASHVILLE. 6119 TENNESSEAN SINGLE PICKUP SIGNNED BY CHET.SUPER CHET AUTUMN RED. SUPER AXE RED. ATKINS AXE ROSEWOOD.GRETSCH CHET ATKINS CUSTOM STRAP MINT. G6120 DSW. G6120DSW. G6120CGP STEREO. G6120 HOLLOW BODY. G6120 1956 REISSUE.G6120 CHET ATKINS DOUBLE CUT. G6119 1962 HT TENNESSEE ROSE. G6122 1958 GOUNTRY GENT. G6122 1959 COUNTRY GENT. G6122 1962 DOUBLE CUT COUNTRY GENT. G6121 CHET ATKINS SOLID BODY. 6120 N. NEW NASHVILLE. 6120 DUANE EDDY SIGNATURE 1997.G6120 SSL BRIAN SETZER NASHVILLE.G6163 EXECUTIVE AMP. GIBSON CHET ATKINS CE. GIBSON CE SUNBURST SHOWCASE EDITION. GIBSON COUNTRY GENT PROTOTYPE MADE FOR CHET SIGNED BY CHET. GIBSON ORANGE COUNTRY GENT OWNED BY PAUL YANDELL.GIBSON COUNTRY GENT WITH RAY BUTTS PICKUPS SIGNED BY CHET.GIBSON PHASAR THE ONE CHET IS PLAYING IN THE CHRISTMAS INTERVIEW VIDEO AND THE ONE WAYLON IS HOLDING IN THE GIBSON AD SIGNED BY CHET. KIRK SAND MADE FOR CHET CHET NAME ON 12TH FRET. DEL VECCHIO DIMANICO. DEL VECCHIO DIMANICO. HASCAL HAILE CLASSICAL THE GUITAR CHET USED TO RECORD CHET ATKINS GOES TO THE MOVIES DOCUMENTATION. HASCAL HAILE CLASSICAL THE GUITAR CHET IS PLAYING ON PAGE 151 OF CHET ATKINS IN THREE DIMENSION VOL#1 DOCUMENTATION. HASCAL HAILE TOMMY JONES PERSONAL GUITAR ONCE OWNED BY CHET DOCUMENTATION. HASCAL HAILE SIGNED BY CHET. HASCAL HAILE SIGNED BY CHET.
pattie surman

Re: COLLECTION FOR SALE

Postby guitarchuck » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:32 pm

Wow! Nice collection Stan! I wish I was rich.
guitarchuck

Postby PhilHunt » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:05 pm

Here I go being blunt once again....but,There's no way someone could afford the entire collection! They would have to be sold piece by piece.
Maybe George Gruhn would be interested....he's got more money than Davy Crockett.
PhilHunt

Postby thenorm » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:28 pm

Also the list is very hard to read.

You should re-do the list in standard type, list the instruments by year issued as much as you can and separate them. This should not be difficult.
I just took about five minutes (which is a long time fooling with someone else's list) separating one guitar from another and they're all over the place as to when they were (allegedly) made.

If you want people to take your list seriously you should take the time to make a serious, logical, list.

I wouldn't expect anyone to put too much extra money in an asking price merely because Chet signed a guitar. Chet was happy to sign any guitar brought to him and he signed a lot of guitars because of this. There are some on your list that appear to be formerly owned by Chet and you claim to be able to document these so they may have some extra value. Having said that, Chet liked to give guitars away, too.

You do have some nice pieces in there but most of them seem to be garden variety Gretsch guitars.

Condition is everything and of course your are a true optimist to think you'll be able to find a buyer for that entire lot of guitars. Perhaps you should, as suggested, see if George Grun would be interested in selling them on consigmnent.

Good luck to you.
thenorm

Postby guitarchuck » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:55 pm

I agree with Phil & Norm, contact George Gruhn. He knows the true value of these guitars. He will take then on consignment. I read an interview once where he said he tries to price instruments so they will sell in an average of 3 months. He knows how to market vintage & celebrity owned instruments.
guitarchuck

Postby RonBloor » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:04 pm

This is the kind of collection that if properly itemized could be sold at Christie's Auction. We are not talking peanuts here :)
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby guitarchuck » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:22 pm

That's another good idea Ron! I was just looking at the prices realized from the auction of Roy Rogers museum items, WOW!
guitarchuck

Postby thenorm » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:50 pm

Yeah, the Roy Rogers stuff went high but unless this gather of guitars is currently owned by someone famous I'm not so sure Christies would take it. Auction houses take a tare or fee per item too, I think.

Regardles... the initial presentation would be more interesting if the instruments were separated and listed in a column or something of that nature.
thenorm

Postby Richard Hudson » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:20 pm

Assuming that this is a legitimate inventory and if the owner of said inventory was just wanting to turn it quickly for cash, it would be a good opportunity for a money person to agree to pay an agreed sum and also would agree to "hold" the inventory for a specified period of time for a fee, just in case the owner might want to buy it back at an agreed price later. Depending on the circumstances of course. If neither side got greedy, it could be a win/win. But, it's hard to keep greed out of the equation when you are talking that amount of money. Even at face value, no celebrity ownership taken into consideration, those guitars are still worth a considerable amount of money (that nobody has right now).

Meanwile, back at the ranch...
Richard Hudson

Postby pattie surman » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:00 pm

At my age of 68 the computer and I are not best of friends.,hence the reason for the illogical list.Believe me Itried, enough said. Since I haven't listed an asking price,thinking that I would ask more for a piece just because Chet signed it is a premature assumption.A number of these can be seen in Jay Scotts book. Most are in near mint condition. I have two offers from dealers. To be honest I don't have high hopes that someone on the board will purchase the collection, but I thought it would not hurt to get the word out.When you consider the number of guitars, the asking price is very reasonable especially when you consider the list price of the Gretsch Eddie Cochran tribute is$12.000.00. Thank you for your imput. No I,m not giving up the guitar, there's more at home.
pattie surman

Next

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins