What's your most precious Chet record?

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

What's your most precious Chet record?

Postby Hendrik » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:07 pm

What is the most precious Chet record in your collection? This could be a scare LP like The Best Chet Yet or the first Chet LP you bought, but it could also be that you treasure a record because of a special memory. It also counts if it’s just your favourite Chet album. I know it's hard, and probably changes every day, but give it a try.

For me it's probably Picks on Jerry Reed. It's one of the first Chet LP's I acquired. I love everything about this album; the songs, the mix of nylon and electric, the cover, the liner notes. For me it was a proper introduction to Jerry. Just look at that cover! This album contains a few of my favourite Jerry songs: East Wind, Down Home and Mister Lucky.

Hendrik

Re: What's your most precious Chet record?

Postby Tom Workman » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:19 pm

Christmas with Chet Atkins. I've had that LP since the 60's and always started playing it at Thanksgiving. I also think that red Gretsch guitar sitting in the snow and sunshine is just beautiful! Regards, Tom W.
Tom Workman

Postby Doug Working » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:09 pm

Sooooo difficult to answer! I love 'em all!

And my favorite changes from day to day. If my memory is right, Chet recorded over 100 LP's? I think it's a fact that he is easily the most recorded instrumentalist in history. If he's not, I'd like to know who has him beat!

Anyway, I miss my Chet vinyls so much, although they took up gobs of space in my room. I had a brand new, still in shrink wrap copy of "Workshop," which I treasured dearly. But so many of my possessions were lost when Diana died in 2006, and I had my bankruptcy and had to move and all that. Lost a lot of my Chet records, as well as a big collection of my magic show illusions.

Anyway, I am SO BLESSED to have my Chet CD's, and I think there are only like two of his records that are not in there. I am a very lucky guy. Someone was kind enough to sell me all of Chet's recordings, and that was the kindest, most generous act that any human being has ever done to me. I have a special box and place in my home for them.

As far as favorites, I listen to his Beatles album a lot and "It's a Guitar World," and "Solo Flights,and "From Nashville With Love," and .....well, shoot! I listen to them all!!

How can I possibly pinpoint one above another? Tis impossible!

Ok. I suppose I ESPECIALLY love "Chet," because it brings me memories of my dad. Me and dad did not have a good relationship, but one day, as a peace offering, I suppose, out of his heart, dad went to the store and purchased "Chet," and presented it to me in his car, as a gift. I hold that as a precious memory of my dad, so I suppose that one is my favorite.
Doug Working

Postby Ray Bohlken » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:10 pm

Hendrick, a buddy of mine played me the Finger Style guitar LP and that was my first experience hearing Chet. It became my favorite album because of that. I still listen to the vinyl LPs occasionally, but, mostly check out the digital versions of songs these days. I still have all my vinyl Chet albums, plus many other instrumental guitar oriented LPs.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby rhirvine » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:03 pm

Hi-Fi in Focus. I wanted this album badly but by the time I became a Chet fan in the mid sixties it was out of print. For a couple of decades I searched for it at swap meets mostly. Finally at the Simi Valley, CA swap meet I was going through a stack of LP's and I found it! It was in excellent shape and I bought it for 50 cents. Such a deal! I still have all my Chet Atkins LP's but I haven't played them in years.
rhirvine

Postby Steve Moran » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:26 pm

Hey Everybody,
My favorite Chet album is Work It Out. It goes through medleys of tunes and full arrangements and Chet takes the melodies and playing to where only he could. I imagine it's one of the earliest albums he used the Gibson CEC on since, I think, it was from 1983. Does anyone know if a reason he named it Work It Out was because he was giving the Gibson Classical CEC a workout for the first time on an album? Many tunes sound like they're on the CEC and others the Gibson CG. I know a lot of the tunes are related to working out like (so the song title theme is related to working out) Walk Don't Run, Olivia Newton John's Physical, Bicycle Built for Two, etc. but I'm wondering if he had another (kind of hidden reason) to name the album that; by giving the CEC a workout. Anyone have any insight into this?
Thanks.
Steve Moran
Steve Moran

Postby DagerRande » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:37 pm

Steve, my understanding is that he was exercising regularly about that time as a way of dealing with health issues related to cancer that he manged to beat at the time. Personal friends like John Knowles would know better!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby cliff » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:29 pm

IMG_6631.jpg
IMG_0041.jpg
a.jpg
Hi. Definitely Christmas With Chet Atkins! I lived in Singapore at the time. I had checked with all the record stores and they had lots of Chet but not this one.The next best thing was to write to Chet via his secretary Carolyn Campbell and explain my disappointment at not being able to get the LP, and if I could purchase one from there.

Best Christmas I ever had was a Christmas With Chet Atkins LP, signed note and picture, compliments from Chet!
What a Gentleman!

Many, many years later, I had the opportunity to visit Nashville on an educational scholarship, to visit the schools there. What a thrill! Nashville! Home of Chet Atkins! The most important article on the trip was the Christmas LP for Chet to 'resign', and a chance to meet Chet.

I had made many, many enquiries regarding meeting up with Chet. I was saddened to learn that Chet was not too well at the time and rarely met with people. Because of my respect and admiration for Chet, I decided I would not pursue the matter, as I felt I might be inconveniencing him in that current state. I felt his recuperation was more important.

On the bright side, Dr John Knowles was so kind as to give me a tour of the Museum where I had a chance to view Chet's guitars, etc.

Current status: All of Chet's LPs, CDs,(I think) books, couple of signed pictures. One'63 Gretsch Tennessean, Gibson Country Gent, Gibson Chet CEC, Yamaha AES1500 with Chet's signature. One heart full of love, respect and admiration. And one person still trying to see if he had extra fingers in his hands! He must have!!

Best Regards
Cliff
Western Australia
cliff

Postby Doug Working » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:45 pm

Cliff,

That was a wonderful, WONDERFUL post!

Thank-you for sharing it with us!

Doug
Doug Working

Postby cliff » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:09 pm

Most welcome, Doug. It was in 2000 that I visited Nashville. As we all know, Chet passed in 2001.

I might mention too that on one of my birthdays, my sister had arranged a surprise. She contacted Chet's office to see if he would call me on my birthday. And he did! I actually thought a relative in the US was playing a prank. Needless to say, I was too shocked to say anything until I realised it was really Chet Atkins!! He had time for everybody....

Best wishes .. and keep fretting'

Cliff
cliff

Next

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins