rapid note pull offs like Chet did

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

rapid note pull offs like Chet did

Postby rhirvine » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:20 am

For Chet's rapid note pull offs. I have always used my middle finger and ring finger of my chording hand. Is this the best way? Should I be using my index finger and my middle finger for this? I've always wondered. Thanks.

Rich Irvine
rhirvine

Re: rapid note pull offs like Chet did

Postby Tom Workman » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:44 am

Rich, I use my middle and ring fingers as well but, I've seen it done both ways on youtube. I guess it's just a matter of what feels right to you... there's really no right or wrong way to do it as long as it works. I wish I could do it with the speed and cleaness that Chet did. Take "Copper Kettle" for example... wow! Regards, Tom W.
Tom Workman

Postby rhirvine » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:36 pm

You're probably right Tom. Unfortunately in the distant past I could do it fairly well but never like Chet could. These days I'm trying to work up to it. thanks.

Rich Irvine
rhirvine

Postby Doug Working » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:42 pm

rhirvine wrote:For Chet's rapid note pull offs. I have always used my middle finger and ring finger of my chording hand. Is this the best way? Should I be using my index finger and my middle finger for this? I've always wondered. Thanks.

Rich Irvine

For clarification, you talking about slurs?

Doug
Doug Working

Postby Ray Bohlken » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:05 pm

I do it the same way you do, Rich, with my middle and ring fingers. I never thought to try it any other way. I did try to do it with the index and middle finger just now and that was a real adventure...sounded awful. I guess if I practiced it, I could get it to work, but I'm too trifling to change my ways. :)

Doug, here is a good video of "Oh By Jingo, Oh by Gee". At about 1 minute and 35 seconds of the video, Sean Weaver does the pull off section to show you an example while he's teaching the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm4EmtEaCR0
Ray Bohlken

Postby Doug Working » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:17 pm

That was great! He pretty much nailed Chet's playing of it.

Always been one of my favorite old Chet tunes.

Would be impossible for me to replicate, though, because my left thumb is not long enough to do those wrap-arounds on my wide classical neck.
Doug Working

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins