fretting hand finger caps

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

fretting hand finger caps

Postby rhirvine » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:02 pm

When I was in my teens and early 20's my finger tips would develop and keep thick callouses when made playing much easier. Sometime in my later 20's they became thinner and thinner (like my hair LOL) and these days they don't get very tough at all. My question is this - their are plenty of products for the picking nails including more advanced finger picks etc. Is there a product that is a finger cap which would emulate the finger tip callouses of my youth? If not maybe one of you entrepreneurs could develop something. Just a thought.
rhirvine

Re: fretting hand finger caps

Postby DagerRande » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:56 pm

Rich, for some reason I don't have that problem but it seems that modified rubber gloves would accomplish this unless you feel that they would still be too thin?
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Doug Working » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:03 pm

I would think that whatever one would try to have the inherent problem of quickly wearing out therefore needing to be replaced frequently.

And they would need to allow for slides up the strings.
Doug Working

Postby Larry Marchino » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:01 am

You might try coating your fingertips with something. Superglue comes to mind, but you might try New Skin. New Skin is a superglue-like material made to apply to small wounds in place of a band-aid or bandage. I used it recently on a small injury to a left hand fingertip and it helped a lot. It dries pretty quickly and is easy to apply.
Larry Marchino
Larry Marchino

Postby rhirvine » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:25 pm

I think I will try 'nu-skin' as it's supposed to air dry. Superglue and the like are anaerobic and dry instantly when most air is absent. I could just see me putting it on my lift index finger and then touching my left thumb to it to check it. Trip to the ER probably and no guitar playing for a while :D .
rhirvine

Postby bill raymond » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:20 pm

SuperGlue is an acrylic resin which quickly polymerizes in the presence of water. Whether or not air is present is irrelevant. It is the moisture in your skin that causes it to set up.
bill raymond

Postby Doug Working » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:31 pm

They actually make superglue remover. I have a bottle of it. Comes in real handy when you glue your fngers together!!
Doug Working

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins