Tommy Jones' 64th Birthday

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Tommy Jones' 64th Birthday

Postby DagerRande » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:23 am

Tommy would have been 64 today. We lost him way too soon! (10-8-54 to 9-4-02)

Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Re: Tommy Jones' 64th Birthday

Postby Doug Working » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:22 pm

Man, he sure tore it up! Black Mountain Rag with a little bit of The Claw mixed in!

This was real close to Chet's version off of the "Pickin' My Way" album, but he plays it much faster than Chet.

How did Tommy die?
Doug Working

Postby DagerRande » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:45 pm

Doug, he was an alcoholic and never took care of himself. I was close to his mother and she told me that he died in the hospital of pneumonia. I almost think I could write a book on my experiences with him and what I learned about his background during the times that I stayed with him. He died exactly 4 years to the day before Steve Irwin ("Crocodile Hunter") He was only a month short of 48. It was because of Tommy that I first set foot in Chet's office, which continued for a number of years. It was my first visit there (1983) when I met John Knowles and Terry McMillan. Of course there was Chet but I had talked with him before. Tommy's natural physical ability on the guitar was amazing! I could show him a fingering exercise that I had worked out and without any practice, he would play it twice as fast! I have about 150 or so "Chet fans" on Facebook and I put a post there this morning acknowledging Tommy and recalled a concert that I brought him in for at the private boarding school where I taught in the early 80's and a number of my former students were there that day and responded remembering how good he was. Tommy and I were nothing alike in either personality or lifestyle, but I will always treasure my memories of my time with him and how much I learned.
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby Doug Working » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:09 pm

With that post, you have just totally blown me away!!!
Doug Working

Postby DagerRande » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:56 pm

Doug, looking back on it I feel that the timing of my path crossing Tommy's might have been "divinely" led. Others might view as a mere "secular coincidence" :-)
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby Doug Working » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:00 pm

I agree it's the former. The good LORD puts certain people in our paths at specific times as He deems fit for specific purposes.

"The steps of a good man are ordered of the LORD."

Amen.
Doug Working

Postby Joe Diamond » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:00 pm

Tommy Jones was ONE of the greatest guitarist alive, yet he couldn't get the recognition that he deserved. The music business, as well as any other business, will either support you or bury you. I have servived 60 years in this business. I still do 400 to 600 shows a year and I am no where near the greatest of Tommy Jones. Tommy deserved way more than myself. I also am a veterinarian, but music was always my first love. The music business has killed more great entertainers than any other business.
Joe Diamond

Postby DagerRande » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:51 pm

Joe, I'm a combination of both envious and sympathetic regarding your situation. I can't imagine doing 400 to 600 shows per year! Of course, I guess it depends on the type of shows they are? My preference would be similar to Tommy Emmanuel's, which would be auditoriums and larger scale performances as opposed to local smaller venues. However, I feel that his natural personality was more suited to entertainment than mine is. You must do at least 2 on many days?
My sympathy is for the lack of recognition and well deserved reward for all of that effort!
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins