Practicing 12th Street Rag?

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Practicing 12th Street Rag?

Postby Pickin Palmer » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:38 am

Over 20 years ago I met a young (then) gentleman from Dayton, OH online on the old ChetAtkins,com message board (before sons and daughters got involved in their dad's legacy (wink) - and, he said he played Chet style "a little." When we first got together the first tune he played was TWELFTH STREET RAG!! Me being the shy reserved guy I am, I whispered at FFF, "YOU PLAY CHET - A LITTLE?????" Well, we became the best of friends traveling back and forth to each other's homes to pick - (guitar and each other's brains) - and to CAAS, all the Western Kentucky events, and a few Tuck Raisors Fri jams at his garage on Belaire Ave in Louisville together for years - BUT, I never could master that un-syncopated lick in 12th Street no matter how hard I tried.

So, recently I thought I would bone up on a tune Chet and his sister Billy Rose sang in their early days - Confusin' - to see if my singing bass lady and I might be able to pull it off. It's kinda simple - like they have to be for me to get them - but, low and behold doesn't Chet throw that danged F 12th Street lick in his lead take... ARG! I've worked on it, AGAIN, a couple days, now, with no real gains...

Anybody got any ideas on how to more efficiently practice that little devil???

Pickless Palmer
Pickin Palmer

Re: Practicing 12th Street Rag?

Postby Roger_Pratt » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:32 pm

Roger_Pratt

Postby LMark » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:52 am

Palmer, whereabouts in the video that Roger linked? You've raised my curiosity. LMark
LMark

Postby Pickin Palmer » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:54 am

Thanks for that link, Roger. Mark/Roger - I know where the notes are and Phil does an amazing job playing them... It's the syncopation between the 4/4 thumb whacks and the triplet melody I can't get. I'm hoping to find somebody that actually had my problem when they first tried to play it, and somehow figured out how to work their brain into playing it....???

Pickless
Pickin Palmer

Postby Roger_Pratt » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:46 pm

Pickless Palmer, That lick was written by Rod Serling and is in the Twilight Zone somewhere. :lol: :lol:
Roger_Pratt

Postby LMark » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:16 pm

Omit the pull-offs and play only the first and third notes of the triplets for a while? Add the pull-offs later? LMark
LMark

Postby Pickin Palmer » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:11 am

It's still like rubbing my belly and patting my head at the same time... But, worse... ARG! I'll keep trying... Has anybody got tab to this?

P
Pickin Palmer

Return to Announcement and News