What's your dream guitar collection?

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

What's your dream guitar collection?

Postby guitarchuck » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:53 am

I was just thinking, if I could afford it, what 10 guitars would I like to own? (I'm talking about obtainable guitars, I'm sure there are many of Chet's personal guitars that we all dream about.) Here's my list:
No particular order,

Gretsch G6120-CGP,
Gretsch G6122-1959 Country Gentleman,
Gretsch Super Chet,
Gretsch Super Axe,
Del Vecchio Dimanico,
Gibson Country Gentleman (flame maple, orange),
Gibson Studio CE,
Peaver (You can build one from parts),
Gibson SST,
Taylor Doyle Dykes acoustic (orange),

That's my list of 10, what would yours be?
guitarchuck

Re: What's your dream guitar collection?

Postby David Elliott » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:54 pm

Hi Chuck,

I'd probably add the Gibson 'Phasar' to that list...not because I think it was such a great guitar, (although I've never played one or actually seen one up close and personal) but because of it's limited production, and the simple fact it was a 'Chet' model!

The only person I can think of who actually has one of these, is Stan Surman down in Florida!

David
David Elliott

Postby keener » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:32 pm

1 thru 10 = Jerry's Baldwin
keener

Postby guitarchuck » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:57 pm

Bruce, I guess I did call this a "dream" collection, LOL!

David, I was trying to limit myself to 10 obtaintable guitars. But since you brought it up, yes the Phasar would be a nice one to have. Also a Gibson Chet Atkins Super 4000, a Studio Classic Fleur-de-Lis model, Gibson Chet Atkins L-10, and all of the other Chet Atkins signature models that I didn't list.

I would still love to see someone print a full color book documenting every Chet Atkins endorsed guitar, Gretsch, Gibson, and Epiphone. It's amazing how many different guitars were available with Chet's name on them. That would make a good size book!
guitarchuck

Postby Ray Bohlken » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:01 pm

My dream collection would be the 6120 CGP. the 6122-1959 Country Gentleman, a Gibson Nick Lucas flat top, an orange Gibson Country Gentleman, an Orange Epiphone Country Gent II - if they made any of those, and two that I currently own - a 1990 Gibson Tennessean and a 1992 Les Paul Studio Lite MIII. I also would like to have back a 1962 Barney Kessel standard that I once owned. I have owned a 1982 Gibson CE, but I was never able to get a good tone out of nylon string guitars...one of my many limitations.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby guitarchuck » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:27 pm

Ray, it sounds like you have a weakness for orange guitars too! The Epiphone Country Gentleman II only came in: ebony, wine red, & vintage sunburst as far a I know. The Epiphone Country Gentleman Elitist came in sunrise orange & wine red. The Elitist models are very nice, made in the same factory as the new Gretsch guitars. The problem was that you could spend just a little more and get a Gibson.
guitarchuck

Postby PhilHunt » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:44 pm

Gibson L-5
Gibson Byrdland
Gibson L-10
Gibson 350T
Gibson Super 400
1954 Fender Telecaster
1954 Fender Stratocaster
1968 Baldwin 801CP
Gretsch 1958 Country Gent
Gretsch 1954 6120
PhilHunt

Postby George Beasley » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:57 pm

I've got all my bases covered, but since I am dreaming, I would like a Gibson archtop with a cutaway and a Charlie Christian pickup, a Selmer petite bouche jazz guitar, and a suitable guitar to put my Prismatone II pickup in.

Also, a Byrdland, a Rick 360, and Dumble Amp.
Thanks,
George
George Beasley

Postby Billy Anderson » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:21 pm

All I want for Wishmas is a 6122-1959 CG! KOPAP. Billy
Billy Anderson

Postby BillB » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:38 pm

Well, I have two of the guitars that I'd want in the collection. My 2006 Gretsch 6122-59 Nashville Classic in a very rare sunburst finish would have to be one of those guitars. I also have a Maton EBG808TE Tommy Emmanuel model (great electronics). Let me see if I can come up with 8 more:

A Kirk Sand nylon, probably a Paul Yandell model with the prismatone pickup. Played one at CAAS. Awesome!!
A Gretsch CGP
A Del Vecchio (already fixed up)
A Gibson 335 Larry Carlton signature
A Taylor Doyle Dykes DDSM or DDAE
A guitar setup like Chet's "octabass" (Gibson Tennessean or Gretsch)
A custom strat (Warmoth) with L.R. Baggs or RMC bridge mixable with magnetic pickups

That's 9 guitars. I'd have to go with either a Benedetto type jazz archtop or a nice flat-top Merle type guitar. Maybe a nice classical. That would be a tough one to choose. Actually, several of those would be tough choices. I like the Gibson Studio Classic CE guitars, too. How about 15 guitars? Haha!

Ask me again next week, and some of them would probably be different. Les Paul Recording model, Gibson Super 4000 Chet Atkins model, Selmer style Django guitar, and on and on.

Totally out of control,
Bill B.
BillB

Next

Return to Guitars and Equipment