Three New Originals

Watch and share videos from youtube

Three New Originals

Postby keener » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:39 pm

I had planned to take a month off from the Boards, but since I came up with 3 new tunes, I figured I'd share them. (They've been posted on Facebook, but I'm sure many of you don't use FB.)

The first is some Jerry Reed licks that I glued together and named in his honor. It's called Dear Mr Hubbard:

The second is one that I dedicated to John Knowles, in a feeble attempt to show some appreciation for all the licks he has taught us over the years. It's called Messin' Around:

And the third is my favorite of the three: it's just a simple D, G, and A melody that I found myself playing while watching football yesterday. It had been a long while since I had played in the Tommy Jones tuning (6th in D, 3rd in F#) and I decided I'd mess around with it. The tune is called One More. It's only about a minute long:

I hope you all enjoy.

All my best
Bruce Keener
keener

Re: Three New Originals

Postby Roger Pratt » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:53 pm

GREAT tunes Bruce!! I always enjoy your renderings and look forward to the next one. I don't even consider taking time off from the things I enjoy because I've had 5 friends pass away in the past year and it makes me realize just how fragile our lives are and our next day may well be our last one. Godspeed my friend!
Roger Pratt

Postby keener » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:33 pm

Thank you, Roger.

I, too, have lost many friends, and I sure appreciate your point. My reason for wanting to take some "time off" from the ChetBoards was that I was checking it 20 times a day to see if anyone replied to one of my threads, I was checking Facebook at least as much, and the same with Twitter and a dozen blogs that I like to follow. One day it just occurred to me that this is not a "smart way" to spend a life that is getting shorter by the day (as all of our lives are). That doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with the CB or FB or Twitter or any other social "meeting place" ... it just means that I was not spending my time well in regard to these meeting places, because they had become an addiction of sorts.

But, thinking about your point of view, maybe it's not a bad addiction to have.

Take care and thanks for the nice words.

Bruce
keener

Postby RonBloor » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:16 pm

They are great Bruce. I tend to agree with Roger's point about NOT taking time off.. Every day is precious, so enjoy doing what you enjoy.. As for your comment about the addictive nature of CB and FB (some of my friends hate acronyms, but not me :) ).... I think they can be, but it seems like a pretty harmless addiction to me, provided it isn't eating into quality time elsewhere, like playing guitar :) Take care.
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby keener » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:30 pm

Thank you, Ron.
All my best
Bruce
keener

Postby awykle » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:33 pm

Bruce I really enjoyed those! You are a great guitar player and thinker. Don't ever quit!
awykle

Postby keener » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:54 pm

Thank you very much, Audie. Makes me feel good.
All my best
Bruce
keener

Postby Billy Anderson » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:59 pm

Bruce, like the Energizer Bunny, you just keep on going. Great as usual. It's a good thing you are here to post because I only work one day a week (great hours-little pay), so you and your music keep me company while I rest up from my arduous duties as the owner's lackey. KOPAP. Billy
Billy Anderson

Postby smokymtguitar09 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:24 pm

Bruce,
I enjoyed Tommy Jones playing and I still listen to his CD's. I can't play his arrangements and one of the reasons is because of his alternate tunings, but I do have an appreciation for those who adapt to the method such as you have. Very good...keep it up. Don't stray too far or too long from the CB for you never know what you might miss while away.
Ronnie Evans
smokymtguitar09

Postby keener » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:36 am

Billy, your mixture of compliments and humor always does my soul good.

Ronnie, the reason I don't try to do more of Tommy's stuff is that a lot of it so darned Complicated. Has nothing to do with tunings. He was light years ahead of me.

Bruce
keener

Next

Return to Video Files