nail reenforcement

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

nail reenforcement

Postby thenorm » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:48 pm

guy at gretschpages provided this link

James Taylor on how he reenforces his picking nails

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BqISqpMRo8&hd=1
thenorm

Re: nail reenforcement

Postby RonBloor » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:35 pm

Thanks Norm.. It's always nice to know what the pros do with their nails. I've heard of the tape before, but I've never found a source to buy it, so if someone knows, I would appreciate their input. Also Mr. Taylor doesn't mention what kind of glue he uses.. I'd assume it is some kind of acrylic nail glue.. Perhaps nailene brand (I think Chet was partial to that brand)... However, you know what they say about ass-u-me, :)
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby thenorm » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:56 pm

Thing I liked about it was that he didn't advocate covering the whole nail down to the quick. Seems like that would allow the nail to 'breathe'.

Find a local beauty supply store and send your girlfreined, wife or some other female member of the family in and have them get what Taylor is using... guys on the board get so flustered about thinking their masculinity is threatened by buying nail products. Ridiculous! Send in a ringer. The way James talks about it it is a common stock item.

Ask for fiberglass nail tape (with a peel off backing) and glue to suit. Tell your spy/scout to accept no substitutes.

Cleaning and preparing the nail is as important as the actual application
thenorm

Postby RonBloor » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:47 pm

Oh I have no hangups about visiting nail parlors Norm. I did go to them a few years ago for perhaps a year. I'll probably need to brush up on my Vietnamese before I go and ask them :)
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby thenorm » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:10 pm

I know but I also know some of the guys used to make a big deal out of it.

Anytime anyone has to do something like that that makes you feel a little odd just remember that John Wayne took ballet lessons for a while to learn how to move more gracefully on the screen. Big guys like him sometimes film as being plodding
thenorm

Postby RandeDager » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:07 am

Doyle Dykes steered me in the acrylic nail direction after one of his Taylor clinics in CA back in '99 and I've been having it done every 2 or 3 weeks since. This has been in CA, MI, WA, and TX. Yes, they are all Vietnamese and are always very receptive to the idea. Some already have similar clients before they ever meet me, so are already familiar with the concept. In ALL cases, the people who work on my nails are the owners. I never ask for this but it has always turned out that way. After the first time I always stay with the same person.

Rande
Rande
RandeDager

Return to Guitars and Equipment