Kirk Sand guitar on ebay

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Kirk Sand guitar on ebay

Postby dan » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:07 am

Can you guys believe that birdseye maple Kirk Sand guitar on Ebay sold for $1600.00 With free shipping? Things like this happens when I'm low on funds.Thanks for listening,Dan.
dan

Re: Kirk Sand guitar on ebay

Postby jay » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:18 am

LOL Dan, Don't be too hard on yourself. If not having 1600 is low on funds, I think a lot of us fit in that category...or the darn thing would have sold 3 weeks ago, when he first listed it. It was a steal then at 2K
jay kantor
jay

Postby BillB » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:50 am

Dan,
I know exactly how you feel. I saw that Sand guitar and wished I had the extra money. A few weeks ago, there was a Gibson Studio Classic from an estate sale that sold for around $1500, but it was only there for a couple of hours. I was trying to figure out how to buy it without going into debt and/or getting the wife upset. I figured out in a roundabout way that one of our Chetboarders (not saying who) bought it, and it's back on eBay at a much higher price. Smart move on his part. I'm trying to make a plan to have the extra funds around for those kind of opportunities. That Kirk Sand was on eBay for several days, too. Crazy!

Bill B.
BillB

Postby RonBloor » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:03 pm

Dan et al.. I wouldn't feel too bad about missing this guitar on Ebay.. A friend of mine Chris Reid emailed Kirk about it. This was before the item sold and I intended to post this earlier, but I plum forgot to do so what with the holidays but you will see from Kirk's response.. The guitar was a very early "prototype". I don't believe that came out during the bidding...
Kirk's response to Chris' inquiry
"Hello Chris
Nice to hear from you. Hope all is well. Happy New Year!
This guitar on ebay is a very early prototype guitar I made in the 80's. It is a solid body guitar, much like the Gibson CE. Some one has installed all new electronics in it, and it is not my work. I don't really claim this instrument as a Sand Nylon String Electric model. This was before I started making the hollow body with the braced top. I only made a few of these.
Thanks for the email. It's always nice to hear from you.
Best regards......kirk"
I hope you don't mind me posting this Kirk... I did clear it with Chris..
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby dan » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:24 pm

Wow,must not be some of Kirk's best work if he doesn't claim it. I would have never known.Wonder how the thing sounds? Dan.
dan

Postby dan » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:16 am

After giving this some thought,I'd love to have a Kirk Sand prototype. I'm still sorry I couldn't buy that birdseye maple Kirk Sand guitar. Anybody here on the Chetboard have one they would like to donate? :lol: Dan.
dan

Postby rsjean » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:14 am

dan wrote:Wow,must not be some of Kirk's best work if he doesn't claim it. I would have never known.Wonder how the thing sounds? Dan.

I'll bet Kirk's average work is better than a lot of folks absolute best work.
rsjean

Postby dan » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:28 pm

I'll bet you're right about that,rsjean. I'll take one of his prototypes any day,I don't care when he built it. Dan.
dan

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins