Windy and Warm - Definitive Version?

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Windy and Warm - Definitive Version?

Postby johnhorneguitar » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:10 pm

Hi,

I'm currently working on learning "Windy and Warm." I've found several different versions on recordings and on YouTube.

Is there a "definitive" version that Chet fans prefer?

Thanks.
John
http://www.johnhorneguitar.com
johnhorneguitar

Re: Windy and Warm - Definitive Version?

Postby Franklin Mc Intyre » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:46 pm

~ Doc Watson a GREAT version on a tape; You hear that you know why he's the best flat top pick'R in the business~
Franklin Mc Intyre

Postby johnhorneguitar » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:09 am

Thanks Jack. I've been fingerpicking for a long while, but I'm just now getting into using a thumbpick for muted accompaniments. Windy and Warm seemed like a good place to start.

Franklin, I have heard Doc's version on YouTube and love all of his little personal touches.

Currently I am using the version Chet played on the Porter Wagoner Show as my main reference.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NgVdbIdD8w
johnhorneguitar

Postby thenorm » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:19 am

Is there a "definitive" version that Chet fans prefer?..."

Why don't you start with the one you prefer? If you ask a roomful of "fans" they will all tell you their particular favorite is the 'definititive" version.

Ask a bunch of Chet pickers and they will all cite their own 'definitive version'. The first recorded version by Chet used a capo at, I believe, the second fret. Wouldn't that be the definitive version?

Bottom line, if you're playing for an audience it won't matter. However you play it, if they reckognize it, won't sound like their 'definitive version' so just learn the one you prefer and, as time goes on, add others little tricks so you can add variety to it. That's what Chet would have told you. Listen to Tommy Emmanuel's version and you will see how he starts with a 'definitive version' and expands on it.

"Windy and Warm" is kinda like "I'll See You In My Dreams" or "Cannonball Rag"

"Definitive" is to the ear of the listener...
thenorm

Postby johnhorneguitar » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:44 am

Thanks thenorm,

I'm from a jazz background. In jazz circles where the standards get recorded by hundreds of artists there are usually some benchmark recordings that people refer to when learning the tunes.

I was just curious about how this applied to a tune like Windy and Warm. You are correct that the album version is probably a good starting place.
johnhorneguitar

Postby johnhorneguitar » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:42 am

Jack Baker wrote:You should start with an easier song than Windy and Warm if you are new to this style of Country style of alternating bass playing.

Thanks but I'm making great progress with the song. I am already quite competent with alternating bass style fingerpicking. The only thing that's new to me is the use of the thumbpick and that is coming along nicely too.

I am only looking for advice on whether or not there is a preferred arrangement for the song as Chet played it a bit differently in different performances and other artists have taken some pretty big liberties with the melody and the song form as well.
johnhorneguitar

Postby johnhorneguitar » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:43 am

I've already transcribed the version from the Porter Wagoner Show, so I'll stick with that one.

Thanks for all the input.
johnhorneguitar

Postby johnhorneguitar » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:14 pm

Of course I knew about it. I just never bothered to get used to using one because most of the music I get called for doesn't require it.
johnhorneguitar

Postby thenorm » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:05 am

I'd made a post earlier that somehow didn't take.

The essence of it was that most Definitive Versions are on records of some sort and those records are essentially an audio snapshot. Some of those Definitive Versions require many retakes to get what eventually gets released and ends up as the Definitive Version.

And the same song, played by the same group of players the next day will sound different than the recorded Defionitive Version.

So my final point was for him (or anyone) to just do the best they can copying or, at any rate, basing their version of the Definitive Version that they prefer and enjoy.
thenorm

Postby Tom Keller » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:56 pm

Well, I will be glad to tell you my definitive version of Windy and Warm, it was on the 1961 RCA Album Down Home. I wore the record out trying to play it like Chet. Guess What? I never did learn to play it like Chet.

Regards
Tom Keller

Next

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins