Doyle Dykes at Saddleback Church

Watch and share videos from youtube

Doyle Dykes at Saddleback Church

Postby keener » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:25 pm

I was just wandering around in Facebook and noticed that Eddie Pennington had posted a tune by Doyle Dykes, and I thought I'd share with those of you who don't mess with FB:

Here's one of his many beautiful tunes:

I could watch Doyle Dykes play for hours and never take my eyes off his fingers. Such a great talent.

Sorry if this has been posted before ... I hadn't seen it until tonight.
keener

Re: Doyle Dykes at Saddleback Church

Postby RandeDager » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:24 am

Bruce, my daughter and her husband were members of the Saddleback church for about 10 years and have just recently moved up to the San Francisco area. They mentioned having seen Doyle perform there and this may have been the time.

What impresses me in this clip is how long his thumbpick is. I like to stay much closer than that. Since most of my performing is in churches I can relate to the way he arranges his songs. When I first met Doyle in about 1991 he too was performing almost exclusively in churches before he began branching out. I will have to say though that the churches he performed in were much more open minded than the ones where I do, so he can do more interesting things rhythmically. My "deviation from the norm" has to be limited to my choices in harmony. No rhythm is usually allowed, which is sort of a sad thing for someone who enjoys playing "Mystery Train" as much as I do.. .lol.

I remember Ray Cummins telling me that he often played secular songs disguised in spiritual sounding titles such as playing "Cascade" and calling it something like "Traveling to Jerusalem" and most of the church members never knew the difference.

Thanks for posting that!

Rande
Rande
RandeDager

Postby Billy Anderson » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:50 pm

With regard to Doyle's pick, I have previously posted that I was lucky enough to have him throw his pick to me at a combo concert/Taylor Seminar just because I asked what model he used. I, too, was surprised at the length. It is a Fred K. white Speed Pick, and I can't begin to use it because I can't mute well enough with it due to the length. But, as they say, whatever plucks your strings. Billy
Billy Anderson

Postby keener » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:18 pm

Guess I'll have to order some speed picks, just to give them a try. Isn't that also what Tommy Emmanuel uses? Regardless, Doyle sure seems at home with one. I've had a hard enough time adapting to the Herco picks (combo of flat and thumb picks), so I doubt that I could transition to a speed pick, but I'm game for giving it a try.
keener

Postby Richard Hudson » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:59 pm

I'm always a little bit wierd, but I use the white speed pick on the acoustic, same as Doyle's except with the regular shank. I use the yellow slick pick on the electric and nylon string. I have a couple of Doyle's picks and it doesn't bother me that much on the acoustic, but definitely gets in the way for me on the electric because of hitting the pickup. Doyle uses the same pick on everything, even the 5 string. I think Tommy uses Dunlop thumb picks. I don't ever remember seeing him use a speed pick.
Richard Hudson

Postby Tom Workman » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:12 pm

This man is truly amazing. I hope to see/hear him play in person one day. I had to chuckle when I read Rande's comment about disguising a secular song with a spiritual sounding title in order for it to be well received in church. Well, once my mother (who will be 80 years old in a few weeks and is my biggest fan) asked me to play "Windy and Warm" for the special music section of our service and I replied that I really didn't think that would be appropriate. Her response was, "Oh, they won't know the difference!" So, I played it and it was well received. The irony of it is that on that particular Sunday, it was indeed very "Windy and Warm" outside. Anyway, HAPPY NEW YEAR to all my fellow Chetboarders. -Tom W.
Tom Workman

Return to Video Files