Kenny Winkler and Ron Thompson

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Kenny Winkler and Ron Thompson

Postby Roger Pratt » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:33 pm

I thought I would post this picture of Kenny and Ron and ask for your prayers for them both as they are battling cancer. They were playing the tune "Dixie McGuire" and an interested bystander turned and said I know that tune!! What and honor to have Tommy E. turn and compliment your playing of one of his signature tunes. They played the fire out of it too. Kenny on his Gibson J-200 and Ron playing my Maton BG808. The big ugly bald-headed guy there is yours truly. Folks please keep Kenny and Ron in your prayers. I've never known two finer men!Image
Roger Pratt

Re: Kenny Winkler and Ron Thompson

Postby Ken Goddard » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:01 am

Great pix and moment.
I enjoyed taking that pix at CAAS 2005
God bless Ron and Kenny

Ken Goddard
Oklahoma City
Ken Goddard

Postby Roger Pratt » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:34 pm

I just got off the phone with Ron in the hospital in Canada and told him that we are praying for him. He told me to thank everyone for him. He also told me that Tommy Emmanuel called him and talked to him about two weeks ago. Isn't that so special of Tommy to call someone he barely knows and lift them up in this hour of their life? My opinion of Tommy while already very high just soared to the skies! What a great thing to do for someone! Thank you Tommy for thinking of my friend! If anyone would like to talk to Ron and offer encouragement, his telephone number is: 204-761-5296. You may have to call several times because he sleeps a lot. Thanks.
Roger Pratt

Postby Steve Erickson » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:02 pm

This is just terrible news. Ron and Kenny will both be in my prayers.

Steve Erickson
Steve Erickson

Postby RonBloor » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:27 pm

I just talked with Ron. Someone, perhaps a nurse, answered the phone. I told her that I was one of his guitar friends. She gave the phone to Ron and we talked for just a couple of minutes. He was most grateful for the call. Sometimes people become bitter when they have this happening to them, but Ron is not that way. If you call him, he will appreciate your call.
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby David Elliott » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:49 pm

"He also told me that Tommy Emmanuel called him and talked to him about two weeks ago"...

That was a very kind and good thing for Tommy to do. It is indicative of a compassionate heart.

David
David Elliott

Postby keener » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:18 pm

Thank you for posting this, Roger. I want to echo that my respect for Tommy Emmanuel, already high, just went through the roof.

I think it's very hard for any of us who haven't gone through it to realize how big of a deal it is to be called by one of your heroes. When my Dad was in the hospital, near the end of his life, Thom Bresh called and talked with him for about 20 minutes -- it was one of the highlights of the last few months of Dad's life. He talked about it often. And my brother and I will always hold Bresh in the highest regard.

I will call Ron shortly. Any of us could have been in his shoes (and may be yet).
keener

Return to Announcement and News