A differnt type of thumbstyle player

Watch and share videos from youtube

A differnt type of thumbstyle player

Postby Ray Bohlken » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:04 pm

I was looking for versions of Moon River on Youtube and found this version by Henry Mancini's touring guitar player. I really enjoyed watching it.
Ray

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP8_sKVY7qI
Ray Bohlken

Re: A differnt type of thumbstyle player

Postby rhirvine » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:33 pm

How do guys like him ever find those jazzy sounding chordings? I'm sure even Richard Smith and Tommy Emmanuel wonder about that even though they could re-produce them after a listening or two.
rhirvine

Postby John Knowles » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:38 am

Check out Tommy playing Moon River on his new CD "Little by Little." He has two versions... one with vocal and one instrumental. He's been playing it live for a while so there is probably a version on YouTube.

I love the way Tommy follows the melody... like a singer. It one of those things we all learned from Chet.

John
John Knowles

Postby Ray Bohlken » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:13 pm

I watched several of Tommy's videos of Moon River. He has his usual amazing touch and, you're right, he has a really tasteful arrangement. I enjoyed them very much. Here is a link to one of the versions.
Ray

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu9anhfdR24
Ray Bohlken

Postby Phil Owens » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:01 pm

John Knowles wrote:Check out Tommy playing Moon River on his new CD "Little by Little." He has two versions... one with vocal and one instrumental. He's been playing it live for a while so there is probably a version on YouTube.

I love the way Tommy follows the melody... like a singer. It one of those things we all learned from Chet.

John

Ben is home for Christmas. This morning he was watching Tommy on youtube and commented that the more he watches Tommy's solos the more he understands what it means to (as Tommy says) "think like a singer." BtW, John, I got Ben the Haba Na Haba CD for Christmas; we are enjoying it all, including your stuff. Congratulations.

Phil
Phil Owens

Return to Video Files