Back To Old Smokey Mountain

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Back To Old Smokey Mountain

Postby Doug Working » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:17 pm

Has anybody ever tabbed Chet's "Back To Old Smokey Mountain?"

I always loved that, and probably played it a zillion times. I did figure out a large chunk of his arrangement by ear, and could rattle it off. But then further on in the recording Chet got off into territory that was beyond my transcribing ear. (The best part, lol!)

I always loved the tune because Chet's guitar seemed to paint a visual picture in my mind of what the tune was about. I could SEE the honeybees buzzin' around the honeysuckle vine. Like a grand, lazy hot day up in the Smokies. That tune always made me feel happy inside. He "captured it," for lack of a better term. Man, he was good at that!
Doug Working

Re: Back To Old Smokey Mountain

Postby DagerRande » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:30 pm

Doug, I think I've mentioned that I was quite close to Tommy Jones during the last 26 years of his life and here is his version from his very first album. Listen to his "funky" rendition during his second run-through.
Attachments
BackToTheOldSmokeyMountains.mp3
From Tommy Jones' First Album
(1008 KiB) Downloaded 336 times
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Re: Back To Old Smokey Mountain

Postby Doug Working » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:04 am

Wow, Rande! That was sweet! That guy really had some chops!! That was just so pleasurable to listen to! He did some really pretty things with the right hand that were different than Chet's cut. Gave it a real nice "country flavor."
Actually, pretty amazing right hand work, when you come right down to it.

Of course, I will always be partial to Chet's version, (because he will always be #1!) but I have to say, Tommy was a worthy contender for that arrangement. He no doubt based it on Chet's original version.

Off topic but related, I think one of the top examples of Chet's right hand prowess was on "Flop Eared Mule And Other Favorites." That tune always captivated me for Chet's sheer guitar mastery as it was demonstrated on a non-electric instrument.
Doug Working

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins