Chet and Merle

Watch and share videos from youtube

Chet and Merle

Postby Roger Crews » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:21 am

Hey guys . hope you all had a Merry Christmas .

i posted about a video of Chet playin winter walkin . i didn't realize it would bring in all the snow . but it is nice to have a white Christmas again .

Any ways since that one worked out so well I thought i would try another one on you guys.

If i remember correctly there were a Austin City Limits that featured Chet and Merle Travis together and i missed it . does anyone have some of the show they can post , or videos of Chet and Merle together
Roger Crews

Re: Chet and Merle

Postby thenorm » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:12 pm

That would be the show featuring Chet and Thom Bresh. There was a cleverly done segment where Thom and Chet "joined" Merle in playing "Nine Pound Hammer" using a video of Merle playing the song to round out the "trio". I don't think there are any videos out there of Chet and Merle playing together which is odd. You would think that sometime during their careers they would have been booked to play together but it never happened to my knowledge.
thenorm

Postby Jim Prater » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:24 pm

There was an Austin City Limits show that featured Merle for half the show and Chet for the other half. It was an early ACL program. I would love to have a video of it.
Jim Prater
Jim Prater

Postby Roger Crews » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:10 pm

that's the one I am thinking about Jim . hope someone has it and shares
Roger Crews

Postby Billy Anderson » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:29 am

I have a Program from The Grand Ole Opry circa 1951 where Chet and Merle were both listed as playing that night on different segments. My Father-In-Law gave it to me a few years before he died. He did not even remember anything about Chet or Merle as all he was interested in were the singers. Go figure!!! Billy
Billy Anderson

Postby Roger Crews » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:33 am

sounds great billy . Is this something you can share with us ?
Roger Crews

Postby kentwkistler » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:48 pm

I remember, but can't find at this time, a video I have with the Chet/Merle situation in question. I believe it is from Austin City Limits, quite a few years ago. The video starts with the explanation that Chet and Merle would be playing on the show, and a picture of Travis is shown. This is the last mention of Merle in the whole show, and the whole thing reverts to the performances of Chet.

At first glance, you might be prompted to say "what the hell is going on?" but if you think about it, the answer is quite evident. Nearly all television stations are free to edit their transmissions (the three or four "network" outlets are pretty much exempt because the "suits" in New York will kill you if you don't adhere to their policies).

But independent channels, such as PBS, are free to edit or restrict their programing, which happens frequently. I have two PBS stations which I watch, and the same program may be aired entirely differently between the two channels. It is nothing we can do about, and we should be thankful that these channels are even airing country/guitar episodes.

Meanwhile, the Kennedy Center Tuesday will honor Merle Haggard (among others). It's just an unbelievable recognition, one which we all need to thank our God. I hope (again) that I have not offended anyone. K E N T
kentwkistler

Postby thumbslinger » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:14 pm

I'm pretty sure I have the Austin City Limits show w/Chet and Thom playing. It's on the same tape as the earlier Chet on ACL when he played Stars and Stripes... the 2nd half of the show was Jerry Reed but they didn't play together.

Can't remember if there's some trickery with Merle but if I can find it, I'll update this post.
thumbslinger

Postby thenorm » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:53 pm

This
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WHhBHGK0TQ

Is the one I was referring to. It's really slick how they worked Merle's clip in there since it looks like a live performance.
thenorm

Postby Billy Anderson » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:32 pm

Roger Crews wrote:sounds great billy . Is this something you can share with us ?

I will try to post the program today if possible. I am technically-challenged so give me some time to figure the scan and paste operations. Billy
Billy Anderson

Next

Return to Video Files